1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez take on Bass Vi Ibanez SRC6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Jan 24, 2014.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

2. MrTaff

MrTaff

Ibanez had one of these at Bass Player Live a few months ago, looked cool but the spacing is way too tight for me.
  3. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

I don't see why it would be compared to a Squier...it looks exactly like a SRT900DX shaped into a SR.
  4. therhodeo

therhodeo

Yeah if you're expecting to play standard bass fingerstyle you're probably out of luck. I want a bass VI style instrument to do more guitar type fingerstyle for chords.
  5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

He said that he bought a Squier bass VI, Ibanez now launches a Bass VI in the style of the SR bass.

Concept of those 2 basses is the same, only the design is different ;)

6. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool to me. I'm happy with my Squier Bass VI, so I'm not gonna run out and pick one of these up any time soon, but I dig it nonetheless.
  7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

8. therhodeo

therhodeo

9. Thomas Kievit

10. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

So they're both 30" scale basses. That's about it in regards to the similar design argument. Anyway.
  11. Thomas Kievit

Design and concept are 2 different things my friend ;)

The concept in this case is the Bass VI, the designs are the shapes / looks of the basses.

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Ibanez doesn't clone Fender designs anymore, I believe there was a lawsuit about that. As a result this Ibanez does not have a design similar to the Fender Bass VI models over the years, it is an Ibanez original. But, as said above, the concept is the same. Most of us play bass guitars, instruments that are a hybrid and compromise between the double bass and the guitar. The Bass VI family members are essentially guitar basses. They are guitars that are modified to tune as low as a bass and most of their functional design is copied from guitar family practice, not bass guitar practice. This new Ibanez, the Schecter Hellcats and Ultra VI, the Eastwood Sidejack bass, and the Danelectro progenitor of the whole family are all of similar design, not visually but functionally. Baritone guitars could be considered part of the family too, they are commonly tuned lower than the factory B-B tuning.
  13. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Awesome-want one!
  14. mr.black

mr.black

I did play this at BassPlayerLIVE back in november. its just ok... not bass enough for a true bass player and with 7, 8, 9 string guitars out not really a exciting prospect for guitar players. it plays well but not nearly as cool as the Ibanez SR7VII Limited Edition - 7 String Bass, that was a beast!
  15. therhodeo

therhodeo

Its a mistake playing one of these instruments expecting it to be like a bass or like a guitar. Its a different animal altogether.
  16. awilkie84

awilkie84

I may have missed it, but I didn't catch the scale length on the SR & can't get the page to load now.

As for the concept, there are big differences.
    2 bass humbucker pickups, instead of 3 single coil Strat-type pickups. This is going to lead to a radically different sound.
    The neck on the SR looks wider, too.
  17. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Of course there are big differences, this is an Ibanez, not a Fender. Fender's Pawn Shop VI has a humbucker and two singles, other brand VI's have two pickups, the Bass VI concept is as broad as the bass guitar concept is. You don't have to make a single coil P bass clone to make a bass guitar. Someone looking for a reasonably authentic reproduction of the original Fender Bass VI is not going to consider the Ibanez as a substitute for the Squier but someone who just wants to try out the Bass VI universe very well might. Especially if they are Ibanez fans. The very first Fender VI's did use Strat pickups but shortly after the Jaguar came out the VI switched to the Jaguar claw pickups and most modern reproductions of the Fender use Jaguar claws too.
  18. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

With that aesthetic, I wouldn't be surprised to see this instrument embraced by guitarists who want to tune WAY down. IMO, this thing screams "modern metal downtuned guitar," where the Fender has more of a "studio bassist utility" or "surf rock bass" vibe.
  19. FourBanger

FourBanger

Some specialized down-tuned and 7/8 string guitars are already pushing past 26" to 27" and 28" so it won't be too much of a stretch for somebody to try that out, especially since this is still only six strings.
  20. awilkie84

awilkie84

Check out Baritone guitars. They've been doing this for quite awhile.