1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez TS9B or MXR Bass Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeremysilverado, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jeremysilverado

jeremysilverado

I'm looking into getting a warm bass overdrive sound that I can dial in light to heavy. Which one do you think? The Ibanez TS9B bass tube screamer or the MXR bass overdrive?
  2. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    If you want a clean clean tone the the ts9b is the way forward. The mxr colours your clean tone with a fixed eq.
    Tone wise the ibanez can cover most levels of gain as can the mxr. I found the mxrs drive tone a little fizzy if over used. Both would sound good into a valve amp :)
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Drive pedals seems to be a very personal matter of taste thing and discussed in a gazillion threads (do a search here and you'll have a lot of opinions to ponder) ... personally I have to say I don't like either of the two pedals you mention, and recommending something else can be tricky. If you can, try to get to listen to a bunch of pedals before buying, I have too many at home that seemed good on paper and sounded fine in online demos but didn't work out when I tried them myself.
  4. Diaz

Diaz

I just sold my ts9b because it didn't sound quite as good with a JB as it did with my Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass TB. I think it has to do with the low end the P-Bass already had with it. It worked awesome with the P-Bass TB (just a humbucker at the neck) though, specially with a CS2 before it to get a hot signal even before reaching the ts9b.

And if it helps, i have an Art MPA II Preamp with JJ ECC83-S tubes and the TS9b just sounded like hot tubes. The Mix knob is a blessing, too, imo.