Ibanez updates website!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PersonalTraynor, Jan 25, 2013.

1. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Disclosures:
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
  2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Yeah, BTB Premiums, the SR1400 got replaced with the 1600 model with poplar burl top (looks killer btw), new Mike D-antonio Explorer style sig bass, and a few other colour changes on certain models, but overall, it seems they're slacking again and ditching the bass division for the guitards (tons of stupid 7 & 8 strings axes...bleah). I'm starting to get irritated by their attitude - you'd think they sell enough basses to put their asses to work and come up with something cool every year...
  3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

That artcore ASB180 looks awesome.
  4. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

For every bass player, there are easily 5 guitar players... The market dictates the marketing...
  5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Guess that means we are special. :)
  6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Gee...I wonder if it could be because theres way more guitar gear being moved than bass stuff. Shame on Ibanez for focusing on the things that makes them the most money!
  7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

At least Ibanez put something out there for us to look at. A TB'er earlier today commented that ESP didn't have a single 6-string bass this year.
  8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I'm actually excited with the stuff Ibanez put out for bass. I'm also interested in some of their guitar stuff, like that 9 string guitar theyre prototyping. I'm really thinking I may have to check out their new BTBs this year...and those new premium SRs look killer!
  9. dax21

dax21

I also noticed that they swapped the pickups for non-premium BTB series, still Bartolinis but they now have BH1 models. Any info on those? I know the older BTBs have/had MK1 and MK4s?
  10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Agreed.
  11. Veldar

Veldar

Well 8 string guitars are all the rage, hell later this year I'm getting a 8 string guitar so I have a guitar to record with, have you seen tosin of animals as leaders he uses wooten's slap technique on his guitar, I think in metal bassists need to adapt to this or we'll sadly be phased out.
  12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Regi Wooten's been playing slap-style on his guitar for a long time as well. I watched the brief Framus YouTube video with him. His Framus signature sounds fantastic.
  13. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I saw the updated Gary Willis model today, wow the new Rosewood fingerboard looks and feels awesome but the price...yikes, better start saving now lol.
  14. Veldar

Veldar

Oh sorry, beaning young has it's disadvantages.
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

No problem at all. Hey, all bassists have benefited because Regi introduced Victor to the bass.
  16. Toptube

Toptube

there may not be new additions that you (see: any given person) mat be specifically interested in, but they are plenty of changes and additions, in general. and I mean generally speaking, Ibanez does more changeups and tries more new things than 5 of just about any other brand combined.

Also, Ibanez tends to do a couple of mid-year updates as well. Some, like the ATK Premium (only 4 months old?), are pretty well publicized. Other smaller updates like maple board SRs are sort of just snuck in there.

*Huh, looks like the SRT and SRA may be gone??

I have come to really, really like the SRT neck. I may have to grab another before they are gone. Maybe they will be on blow out... >_>
  17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

First of all, you guys need to keep in mind that certain lines (ex: SRA/SRT) are only available in US. Same goes for most of the instruments in the main lines: SR & BTB. So you may think they have a lot to offer, but it only applies to US. And yes, I've asked my local dealer many times about this and every time the answer was the same: if it's not in the official catalogue, they are not allowed to import it.

Second: there are a couple of new entries if you don't stick to a certain line. But if you're - let's say - into SRs, the only new thing is a different top on a Premium. Not enough to get excited about...

Third: they have a weird work plan...for example they put out a lot of 4 string models, but no 5ers. Now they've jumped in the 7 strings wagon as if ppl have actually started to play such basses like crazy. There are not many amps & cabs capable of reproducing those frequencies, and not many string makers that offer 7 string sets. Now call me ignorant, but a 8 string guitar goes deep in the bass field freqs - I don't see how a 7 strings bass would help solve the problem. And I'm not going to develop tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome just because playing on "airplane lane" necks is all the rage, you know ;)

Last, but not least: there may be a lot more guitards outhere than bassists, but Ibanez is one of best selling brands in the bass field. It's not like they're selling only a couple of units a year so it's not worth investing in their bass lines.

IMO, of course.
  18. Toptube

Toptube

Well, they seem to vary the lineup based on market response/demand.
    That said, other markets have things we do not. We don't have a 4 string BTB. We don't have SRX with pick guards (actually, hey it looks like we don't have SRX at all anymore). So again, they play to the different tastes.

It would definitely be nice to get some new colors. Some shades from the rainbow maybe :help:
    But otherwise, the SR line is pretty well represented from top to bottom.

I know you commented about how other markets have different variety and if you aren't in the U.S., maybe there aren't so many options for 5 string Ibanez. But in the U.S., just about every model has a 5 string variant. And again, the BTB STARTS at 5 strings.

As for 7's, well I think Ibanez is seeing an opportunity to offer a value option for a growing niche. More and more people are playing 6 and 7 string basses. Metal, Prog and other types of music are really in a growth spurt right now with younger people. and man, people are so different from one body to the next. I know for you and me, playing with that many strings would be a stretch. But there are people out there for which its about as strenuous as brushing their teeth. Those people are amazing and they shouldn't have to pay $3,000 to have a custom instrument made so that they can express their musical potential. That's what I think Ibanez is doing, anyhow.

Its a global recession right now. I think some of their extra bass models haven't been selling so much. So this year they paired down to focus on what's actually selling, while still offering a couple of new options for potential growth areas. In the past few years the SRX line has changed aesthetically like very other year. Yet I would always see them as blowout leftovers. Very few of them would sell. I think the SRA and SRT had similar fates, they just didn't try to keep them around as long.
  19. Nobody

Nobody

The ASB180 looks awesome. I had the longscale ASB and the size and neck length were just too much for me, other than that it was a great bass. I love the doublecut hollow body so I was disappointed when they dropped that body style when they went shortscale. But now it looks like they did it right. I love the look of the pups.
  20. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

I really like what they've done with the Artcore basses. New finishes look really cool, and I'm excited to hear how different the ASB180 sounds with the new pickup at the neck.