1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez Vari Mid Eq PU Balancer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mazinger, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

So I got a 97 sr800 and I'm trying to get used to the EQ. I've been a passive guy for years, so most of this active pre amp thing is new to me.

Now for the PU balancer. If I turn it all the way to the P PU the volume drastically reduces. If this normal? Middle and J pickup setting has almost similar volume with J a bit louder. Once I pass the mid point the volume gradually decreases as I turn the knob.

Doesn't seem right. I would think the P PU would at least be a bit louder than the J pickup.

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

P (fwd) pickup should have at least as much volume as the bridge pickup.
    Look for a wire with only a strand still connected, or a marginal ground or hot lead for the neck pickup.
    Those are AFR-P and AFR-J?

3. Mazinger

Yes. They're AFR P and J.

Thanks for the confirmation that something is wrong though.

4. Mazinger

So I replaced the balancer pot. Pot is 250K. Now it's a different issue. I think I wired it correctly and I checked the schematic that is on the internet. The only difference is the ground from the pickups are on the volume pot instead of the balancer like the schematic. It was already like this when I got the bass.

The issue is if it's directly in the middle. Both pickups will be "off". No sound at all. All the way to either side and it works. I can tell it's the neck or the bridge pickup. It's working like a volume control. Sound gets lower as I turn to the middle from either pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

At least now you're getting sound from both pickups- one's not dead.
    Center position should be full volume for both pickups, then one fading out as you turn the knob toward the other.
    Double-check which terminals the pickup hots go to, and since some like the bal pot to not be grounded, try moving the pickup grounds to the vol pot instead. (maybe cut the grond jumper from the bal to vol pot), altho the bal pot could still ground to the cavity.
    The bal pot should be wired like the attached diagram.
    Double-check the crossover ground, and the crossover hot signal
    also.

Attached Files:

7. Mazinger

My wiring looks like this except the pickup grounds are on the volume pot.

Attached Files:

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

In that diagram, the grounds from the vol and bal pots go to separate leads on the PCB. That could be the diff- something to do with the on-board circuitry. It seems that with the new bal pot, your signal goes to ground in center position, otherwise the signal should be full-on from both pickups in center. The bal pot posts are wired the same as in the other diagram, also.
    I would re-check all ground leads, connections after moving the pickup shield leads to the bal pot, and ensuring there is no connecting ground (from bal pot) to the vol pot/ jack/ batt, also checking that the bal pot is not grounding to the cavity ground/shield paint.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Sorry for not following up sooner-
    Since those are active pickups, that should've been a 25k balance pot, 250k work with passive pickups.
    Don't know why I didn't see that before...

11. Mazinger

Ahhh. Thanks. I'll check if the 25K will fix it.