Ibanez vs fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by namicle, Mar 3, 2014.

1. namicle

namicle

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Both of those are beginner basses. $300 is a lot to pay for a Squier Affinity and some trinkets. If $300 is your budget, and you like the new Squiers, buy a Vintage Modified Squier. It's a much better value.
  3. Nobody

Nobody

4. ThisKid

ThisKid

they are two totally different basses. but they are neck and neck. its all preference
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

If you're going with Ibanez - at least get an SR300 with the active 3-band EQ - the GSRs just don't have anywhere near the sound.

Go to your local music store/GC, and try them out; they're totally different basses in almost every way.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Skip that Affinity for sure. The amp is not worth the extra money you pay for getting the kit. You can get the bass by itself for half the price, and that amp is junk.
  8. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

This.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

RENT!!

Go to a local store and rent a decent bass and amp for at least the first six months. If you are still playing in six months then consider buying your first bass and skipping over the entry level stuff. That way you can buy used and save tons of cash as well as actually buy something based on what you know you like instead of just picking something based on looks and the opinions of random internet folk.

Also, I realize your probably passionate about music being your life now but so many players quit within the first year, so it is best not have to sell your gear at a loss you can just return the rentals if they aren't getting used.
  10. ster

ster Supporting Member

I agree, but if you have a burning desire to own one, I say get the Ibanez. If you are a beginner, which i assume you are since this will be your first bass, getting one of these beginner packs is a good idea. My friend has the Ibanez. The bass itself, I thought, was decent. Not great but way better than the beginner offerings when I started out. $200 for a decent bass is a nice deal. Plus if you find out bass playing is not your cup of tea, you’re only out $200. But renting is a nice option, you might find out you don’t like playing bass.
  11. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I'd look for a used Squier Classic Vibe and a tiny amp to practice with.
  12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

If there is a Music & Arts anywhere near you, I know they have a rent-to-own program (at least for wind instruments). This may be a path to look into.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Buy used. A used Ibanez SR300 can be bought for under $200. I had two, I bought one for $125, the other for $150. The SR series is much better than the Gio series they put in the beginners pack. I agree fully with Solarmist on that.

Buy a used amp as well as the amp they include in the beginner's packs are terrible.
    A used Squier can also be had for much less than new. A Squier VM jaguar is a pretty good bass to start off with too, it's an active bass and I feel it's easier than either a Jazz or a P bass for a beginner. A new one is $199, a used one can be bought much cheaper than that. I've seen it for as low as $99, average used is about $125.

Renting is a good way to try out a bass in the short term, but if you're renting for a period of like 6 months, it's not really a good option as that six months of rental money could have bought a used bass and amp in the first place, also if you do decide you don't like the bass, you can always resell it. Can't do that with a rental- it's money down the drain. Let's say you buy a used Ibanez SR300 for $125. If you don't want it anymore for whatever reason, you can put it up for sale on CL for $125 or more. Zero money lost, perhaps even a slight profit made. Same with the amp. So buying used is perhaps the best route to take.

Check your local CL too... I would recommend something about 40w at the very least for a practice amp. Easier to turn the volume down than to reach the volume limit and can't do anything about it.
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Renting is pointless. Buy used, and if you decide that bass is not your instrument you can resell the bass for the same money you bought it for.
  15. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

You can buy a nice Squier VM J or P along with an Ampeg 108 brand new $400, free freight and no tax which blows away that Amazon deal. Rent a car if needed on vacation. Buy the bass and amp.
  16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

Especially when you're shopping in the $300 range.
  18. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I like both Fender & Ibanez
    If it has to be one of the two in the original choice--then the Ibanez, but definitely look for used--especially aN Ibanez 300 or higher number or a VM Squier or a CV.

But even the lower end GSR basses are nice for a starter bass.

But I;d try them out and see if either does it for you, but keep an eye out for used if you can find it.

Sometimes you can't.
  19. Maxdusty

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Try shopping on the used market with zero knowledge. Good plan to get ripped off pr buy a dud in my opinion. The same reason I would never buy a car out of the classifieds. I am no mechanic.
  21. Maxdusty

Not necessarily. Guitar Center has used instruments and also a 30 day return policy. (even if you don't like the bass for whatever reason)
    In addition, for what, $19 you can get a warranty for the used instrument for a year if you're really concerned. Hard to get ripped off by that. Still cheaper and more cost effective than a long term rental.
    Buying used on Craigslist is dangerous though if you don't know anything about the instruments.