ibanez vs. zon dilemma.....really :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Adhesive_X, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Adhesive_X

Adhesive_X Supporting Member

SO, I've been away from playing for a few years. Used to play a Zon Sonus 4 for years. Loved it perfect feel and sound. Got approached about a new project that would require a 5 String due to multiple alt tunings.

Picked up a Ibanez sr605, spacing seemed odd to me. High strings at the first position seemed a little cramped, but the B and E i can fly on. (in this project i will spend a good deal of time there) I have to be more conscious of my left hand technique while my right has a nice light touch, while i still have be more exact.

So, now i found Zon Sonus 5, string spacing seems much more natural, but playing in the first position in the low strings is VERY difficult, painful actually. I can't seem to find the right position
    with the strap height. Hopefully my wrist will stretch out. not sure. Plus there is some neck dive
    that is irritating.

So torn, Iby is so comfy and doesn't sound all that great, while the Zon sounds great and isn't comfortable. I'm just not used to pain while practicing or playing. but than again I'm in my 40's now.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

What is your budget? If you feel comfortable with the neck of the Ibby, you should try out a SR Premium 1x05 with Nordstrand pickups.

Also, the Ibanez BTB Premium series are very good basses! 35 inch scale length, 19 inch string spacing, neckthrough design and a comfortable neck to play :)

3. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Comfortable is important, pickups can be changed

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My experience is that if I play an uncomfortable bass long enough, it becomes comfortable. Regarding neck profile, and string spacing, that is. Action is another story. Getting used to a new or different bass doesn't take a long time either if I'm playing it exclusively.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Adhesive_X

my budget was around 1800. I got the sr605 FOR $349 so it was hard to pass up. ill give the zon a month or so. if it doesn't work i can sell it. I could add nordstands and a graphite neck to the ibanez and still come in under what i paid on the zon. Just sucks it wasn't the instant match the old 4 string was.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Okay, well let me know how everything is turning out for you :) Hopefully you can make your choice!

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Zon vs Ibby?

First time I've heard THAT!

Well, this I know: Ibby's are known for having VERY tight finger spacing - at least every 5 or 6 I've played was that way; Zon's aren't real roomy, but do offer more space (I have 3 Zon 5's, so I can speak with some authority on that one thing). I find my Zons to be not great for slapping but dandy for everything else.

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

adhesive: I'm in my 40s too... and switch between Yamaha Attitude Limited II, a neckdivin' beast, and couple of Ibanez Btbs (686 single cut 6er and "7", all maple 7 stringer) both very heavy.

Nothin' is more difficult to cope with than was playin' thru Thunderbirds basses, with everything from neckdive, scarce overall balance and neck's first positions placed so far away.

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. Adhesive_X

well i made up my mind and I put it up for sale on craigslist. I noticed if i shifted the bass 3" or so to the right while it was on my lap and it was fine. So i thought i would try a 21 fret bass and see if it was comfortable. I messed around with a fender jazz V, the nut is the same width and string spacing was wider and it was comfy.