1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibby SR500 passive mode w/tone control

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jordan S., Aug 24, 2012.

1. Jordan S.

Jordan S. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Hey Guys,

I recently decided to do and active/passive mod to my Ibby SR500, but with an added tone control for passive mode. I wired everything according to post #14 of this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/bartolini-active-passive-tone-control-703202/

So, in order to do this mod, I had to replace the stock 25K volume pot placed after the pre, with a 250K push pull. The problem I'm having, is that after about 20 minutes of playing (with plenty of active/passive switching action :smug: ) the active mode slowly becomes quieter and quieter, until the active mode is quieter than the passive mode. I can unplug the battery, leave it for a while and the plug it back in, and the whole process repeats itself.

Am I right in assuming that the pre doesn't like having a high value pot placed after it? Does anyone have a diagram that places the volume knob before the pre, rather than after it? Am i even on the right track (this is most likely :p)

Btw, I'm running the stock (passive) Bartolini MK1 pickups and the Ibanez EQB3S pre.
  2. Jordan S.

Jordan S. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Could be that 250k pot is prob after pre.
    An add'l vol/tone stacked pot for passive side may be req'd.
    This switch separates source, but may 'pop'.
    Maybe someone can further this basic sketch. Active -Passive Switch.jpg