Ice Storm Warning - Charleston SC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GK Growl, Jan 27, 2014.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Christ. I've been living in Charleston since 1984 and have never seen anything like what they are forecasting here. Snow is one thing but actual freezing rain and sleet? Ice accumulation? I can tell you the people here are not prepared for anything like this.
  2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Thank the Navy. Yup I put on my foil hat today.
  3. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually.

I'm way up here in Charlotte. I got a couple of extra toques here if you need 'em....eh.
  4. Firesalt

Firesalt Pretty fly for a white guy. Supporting Member

I just bought milk and bread, you should too!
    LOL.
    I have a toddler and we were out of bread though the idea of buying milk and bread when bad weather arrives here in the south always cracks me up. Let's all have milk sandwiches!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Denver Max

Denver Max

Its funny because milk and bread go bad way quicker than canned foods.
  7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Peanut butter, oats, rice, and bottled water.

I usually get two or three cases of MRE's a year and toss them in the basement (currently have SIX). I also always have a couple cases of bottled water around. Sternos are always a good investment, too.

You can never have too much tinfoil, either.
  8. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Relax. You could live in Michigan.
  9. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Just a reminder, I saw 45 degrees listed for parts of Alaska a few days ago...yeah that's normal.
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

I don't ever remember this many school days being called for Cold (not snow). We're looking at around -10 air temp tonight. I been shoveling about 2-3 inches of Global Warming every day. I have snow piles in places I've never had piles.
  11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

It is crazy, my wife may be stranded in Houston because of ice and then we are supposed to get a couple of inches of snow here in the Raleigh area so even if her flight could leave, it probably will not be able to land. :(
  12. CrashClint

I checked this morning and I am not sure I have enough milk and espresso beans to get me through a couple of days, this is like a State of Emergency for me!
  13. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Back in '99 I was living in Maine and we had the worst ice storm I've ever seen. Ice had accumulated on the trees, the branches broke off, and took out power lines everywhere. Nearly the entire state lost power. My apartment was without electricity for 7 days, the place where I worked was out for 4 days. The driveway going to my building had a slight incline and my neighbor was not able to even walk up the hill, and I'm using the term 'hill' very loosely. I saw him thru the window so I went onto the steps and pulled him in with a 50' extension cord. After a couple of days I found out one of my buddies the next town over still had electricity and he invited me to camp out at his house for a while. Every night I'd cook a big meal, then we'd get drunk and play video games. Good times.
  14. CrashClint

A few years back Raleigh area had a bad ice storm, I lost electricity for a week, luckily I have manual gas logs and was able to have some heat. I cooked on the grill and with a coleman burner.
  15. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    You guys have it easy down south in that respect....come on up here for a visit....it's a way of life this time of the year. :D
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I read some reports that propane prices are skyrocketing. That is unfortunate if it is true. Propane isn't a luxury for some people like cable TV is.

Stay warm folks. Think warm thoughts, look at pictures of warm places on the internet. If you leave the house, have emergency supplies in your car and bring a few layers of clothes.

-Mike
  17. Richland123

Richland123

Welcome to where I live all winter. :)
  18. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

60 degrees in Atlanta yesterday. Snow and ice today and tomorrow. 60 again by Saturday.
  19. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

20. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

I grew up in Charleston in the 60s and 70s. I remember the whole city shutting down for something like 3 or 4 days in the early 70s due to an ice/snow storm and cold temps.
  21. CrashClint

We got about 3" of snow last night.