ID help on 80s Fender Jazz Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldSchool50, Feb 25, 2014.

1. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Can anyone help me identify the model of this 1986-87 Fender Jazz make in Japan? Links to pix below.

My research shows it might be a '62 Reissue, but I can't find anything that says a Japanese version was made. Serial # is F025XXX.

Are they considered as well as the other Japanese Jazz of that era, Power Special (had one) and the Special, both very well built.

Any idea what one is worth in very good condition with pickup upgrades to Fender American Jazz? The vintage books don't seem to have something of this description.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. OldSchool50

a few more

Attached Files:

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

The Japanese guitars of that era and just about any era are fantastic I would say in the $600.00 to $700.00 dollar range and if you get in a bidding war I've seen them go past $1200.00 I was in one last year and lost it.
  4. OldSchool50

Thanks mjac28,

I sold a Power Jazz 84-87 that I still regret. A wild blue color but great build and active setup.

This is more traditional. Any idea of the model? Anything special or is it just a Fender Jazz bass (no reissue or other)?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

What Mac said. Value sounds about right.

And yeah, I'm pretty certain there was an MIJ '62 reissue; I had the neck of an MIJ '62 P-Bass for a bit, myself, so I do know they made '62 reissues in general.

Try taking the neck off. There might be a stamp in there that says JB 62 or JB 562, which should signify the '62 reissue.

EDIT: What I meant to say was, "Nope, no such thing. Worth about $50, so send it to me!" :ninja:
  7. OldSchool50

Thanks. There was a '62 reissue but I'm starting to think it was earlier by a few years, with a JVXXXXX serial number. Still collecting info and may need to get the owner to take the neck off to be sure. I'ts something local I"m looking at but the owner just doesn't know much about it.

The search goes on.

Any more thoughts out there are welcome.
  8. OldSchool50

I can't believe how hard it is to find info on this 86-87 Fender Jazz MIJ. I"m a pretty good researcher but could only find one other even close, 85-86 C series. THis is F series.

ANy other ideas?
  9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Back then it wasn't like there were a ton of titles associated with models as they are now. Yes, there were those few you mentioned but nothing like today's deluxe active satin relic reissue etc. I think it was just "Jazz Bass." No?
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

you're right all of the late 80's 62RI's were MIJ. Telecasters, Strats--not just basses. I think the USA's were called "Fender USA," & MIM stuff went by "Fender Standard."
  11. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Can't answer any of the OP's questions, but if the play-ability and tone are anything like its visual appeal, I'd buy it in a skinny minute.
  12. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Does the back of the headstock have a strap pin? Most JB-62s I've seen have them. Some of the newer ones from the 2000s do not have them.

[​IMG]
  13. OldSchool50

ON model: You might very well be right. Just a "Fender Jazz Bass."
    ON strap pin: I'm checking. Haven't seen photo of headstock back
  14. ChopperDave

Based on the heel truss, the ground wire, and the spacing between the bridge and the bridge pup, I still think it's a '62 reissue. Looks like a rounder (7.25") fretboard, too, but I don't know for sure what the Standard models' radii were--I presume 9.5", but don't quote me.
  15. ChopperDave

The only difference between C and F that I could find is year. C = '85-'86, F = '86-'87. I can't imagine there were lots of changes then.

I looked up "80's MIJ Jazz Bass '62 Reissue" and found lots of forum info, including a bunch of posts on TB.

https://www.google.com/search?q=80s...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=
  16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

my 84 alder squier has the copper strip, gold squier jazz decal, but no head stock strap pin, little tuners
    my 93 basswood fender had the 60s fender contoured body decal, the head stock strap pin, and the copper strip, little tuners

both became great basses when i put in either alleva copollo or custom shop 60s pickups and the threaded bridges
  17. OldSchool50

Many thanks, ChopperDave,

At this point, I tend to agree. It has both the visible ground wire and strap pin on the headstock and spacing looks about right. Still hard to get good info on the '62 reissues but that's probably as good a guess as any, unless someone weighs in to disagree.

Thanks to everyone who offered opinions.
  18. Klonk

Klonk Norwegian Wood Supporting Member

You could send an email (in English of course) to sales@kurosawagakki.com, maybe they can help, I've emailed them alot about Japanese Fenders, they are the largest music store in Japan.
  19. BowserBass

BowserBass

I have a mid 80's MIJ jazz that looks alot like the OP pic. Mine is a C series. Head stock has no strap button and the neck and bridge pickups are the some size, something I thought only produced on MIM jazz basses.
  20. DirkP

DirkP

Looks like a 62 Reissue for me too. There are two different models, one with Basswood body, japanese Pickups and japanese electronics. The other ones - more common in the japanese domestic market - with alder body and US pickups.
    What I like the most about these instruments are the necks.
    Dirk
  21. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

I have a Precision made in Japan that was gifted to me around 1986. The serial starts with E so it falls in the 1984 - 1987 range.
    I left it completely stock and it's still in beautiful condition. I just did a setup on it, it still plays amazing.
    I've heard that the Japanese Fenders are becoming somewhat sought after? I don't recall it coming with much documentation.