ID Jazz Bass - Thread Deleted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by androo75, Jan 9, 2014.

1. androo75

androo75

Not sure what happened to my original topic, I was posting from my iPhone so maybe I deleted it. Sry~

http://s95.photobucket.com/user/ornatehoodmusic/slideshow/Jazz Bass Mystery

[​IMG]

Thx to everyone for their opinions - this looks to fall in-line with other suggestions here.

From The Fender Discussion Page:

"Hmmm........

An interesting combination of components,and finish.
    I am only offering an opinion.

Overall I think it is someones' personal customization,probably done by a repair shop or the like.
    It appears in good condition.

The pics on the slide show gave me a bit of a chance to look at the pot codes and they are CTS with a date being what looks like 1988 probably.

What is unusual is the headstock being matched,yet no signs on the body or neck that I see quoting a special order,even if they did state special by that year (not likely).

Personal take on the headstock is that it was sprayed ex-factory,and an aftermarket decal was applied. The nature of the font on the decal is pre-cbs;the design number is the slightly later one found in those years that appeared around the end of 1964/early 1965 being: DES 169,062.

Previously the design number on pre-cbs models was: DES 187,001. Be aware that a check on the actual design and patent numbers reveals that they did not necessarily indicate the Jazz Bass,rather they were for overall design features,or an instrument type generic.

So there you go - the consensus is this is a hack, until I hear otherwise from John Page / or a current Fender CS rep.

I'll still measure the pickups, and check for the tuning key screw/stud.
  2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Entire thing is dependent on 'IF' there are holes under the current machines from '97 AmStand style machines ... that will tell validity of serial #

Length of pups and pup cavity routes will help to determine origin of body, but even then, not definitive, but should be safe to say what it is/was ...

How do you 'maybe' delete a thread? ...

I have more info on this, if OP wants it, PM me .. a LOT of time/typing was 'maybe' lost already .... good luck
  3. androo75

androo75

Really sry about the missing thread, I honesty do not know what happened I posted a reply then I was prompted that the 'thread did not exist or was deleted'.

Regardless of it's pedigree I really like this bass, quirks and all but curiousity reins, between here and three other forums I think the composite view is that this bass is a mix of parts, and was likely a customized 1997 US/Mex Jazz Bass.

Dropping it off for repairs and setup - I'll get more photos and the opinion of a local luthier shortly.

Thank you all for you time and expertise.

I will follow up in PM's as well - cheers!