1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Idea for a new Aguilar product

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Sep 19, 2012.

1. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

The idea: a bass head with a tube preamp and Class D power amp. Resurrect the already superb DB 680 as the front end and then include a 1000 watt Class D power amp in the same 2 RU case. The new head would essentially be a DB 680 with a built in 1000 watt Class D amp. Aguilar would do it right.

2. NWB

NWB

That sounds like a winner!

3. astack

astack Supporting Member

The DB-7Pro? ;) Yeah, that would probably be killer.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would love to see a TH1500.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I'd really love to see a two-rackspace, 1000w-ish Class-D head based on the DB680 as well. The DB680/728/AGRO rig I owned for a while was the best bass tone I've ever had, but that's not a realistic setup to gig on a regular basis (well, without roadies.)

They could get rid of the dual inputs, the crossover, the tube-buffered effects loop and some of the various ins and outs in favor of the more standard pieces from the 751 and TH amps, but keep the preamp mostly intact - especially the dual parametric EQ - and perhaps add a footswitchable AGS circuit?

I think that the kind of people who like the DB751 aren't going to choose a DB680-style head over it, as it'd be a fundamentally different voice. The TH is kind of like a DB751 voice for people who don't like the weight, but there's room for something completely different.

I'd also love a DB659/728 style all-tube head but beggars can't be choosers. :D

7. vin*tone

vin*tone

Where do I sign?

8. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Tonehammer 1000 (contains two of the TH500s).

DB 500.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Heck no, TH 1500... 1500 watts at 4 Ohms!

10. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

I was thinking Tonehammer 750, and DB 500. To match the DB 751 and TH500.

Then Tonehammer 1500 containing two of the TH750s. Would be the size of the DB751 but lighter. Rackmount but available with a headcase.

Tonehammer 500 pedal. AGS foot control is gone, they add a pot to control the gain. Silver with black cursive writing.

11. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification

Disclosures:
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Thanks for the suggestions. Up here in NYC, listening closely!

Dave B.

12. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

I hereby release my ideas into the public domain. lol :)

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

A higher power TH head sort of makes sense from a weight perspective, but it's still in the tonal "ballpark" of the DB751.

The 680 is a really different beast, and matches exceptionally well with class D power amps. A 1000w-ish 2-rackspace 15-18lb head would be a logical upgrade path for us AG owners who might want a little more power but don't want to go heavier.

14. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I'm more interested in a tubed version of the TH500.
    If GK and GB can pull "half tubed" amps, I would expect that Aguilar would excel at it.
    As far as 1000 or 1500 watts, I am fine with 500 watts.
    Most of what I play doesnt exploit a very wide dynamic range in terms of actual SPL. More like a faux dynamic range where my light playing and heavy playing come off at similar SPL but with varying amounts of harmonic content.
    Tubes.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Sweet! Dave I just broke down an ordered my TH today. I can't wait to spend some time with it. I love my other Aguilar gear.

16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I don't know if there is a readily available/affordable Class D power module yet with a higher output than the one used in the TH500 (I could be wrong about that though at this point). Remeber that this is the same power module used in the "900 watt" Genz-Benz offerings, just that Aguilar refuses to call theirs a 900 watt amp. This module is already a bridged stereo amplifier design, so you couldn't just bridge two modules. The power modules used in the higher powered Class D heads (Ampeg SVT-7Pro, the Carvins, and the Orange Terror) are all proprietary (designed specifically for/by them), and so would require alot more money for R&D than using an already available module like most of the Class D amps today. That said- it'd be cool if a smaller company did take that leap!

17. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

How about a dual channel TH amp, allowing for one of them to be dialed up with more drive and grit, and the other runs cleaner (relatively speaking)?

18. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

The Tone Hammers - pedal and both micro heads are great just the way they are. The new head might might closely resemble the DB 680 but without the crossover and it would be rated at a 1000 watts of Class D power. But it would be 2 RU. Aguilar, you can do it!!! There'd be more than one "Megathread" on TB about this imaginary head that's for sure !

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'd love to see them do an all-tube amp sometime. I doubt that's something they'd be interested in doing, but I'd love to see it done!

Btw, I just got a brand new DB751 and it is AMAZING! I don't know how they managed to improve the already awesome DB750, but they did it with the 751!

20. Hou

Hou

How about a 2x12 SL cab?

21. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14

^this. Then I wouldn't feel like I'm giving something up when I don't take the 659/728.