Ideal/Guyatone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmckenn2, Mar 15, 2014.

1. tmckenn2

tmckenn2 Supporting Member

So I have had an Ideal brand red violin bass that I found in the garbage years ago sitting in my attic. Assume its 60's, early 70s. Never really got it working but it looks so cool. Thinking about investing in making it playable (pickups aren't working, missing a tuning head, neck is a little warped). Anybody think it's worth it? Can't find much info about the Ideal brand.
  2. tmckenn2

Here is a pic. Anyone know anything about Ideal or have a vote on if it is worth fixing up?

Attached Files:

3. mongo2

mongo2

It looks to be a nice Hofner copy. If it's otherwise functional I'd replace the tuners and play it.
  4. Steveaux

Steveaux

My first bass was an Ideal. I bought it used, in late '73, for the princely sum of $20. It was identical to yours, except in green burst. The pickups were badly microphonic.

If the neck is warped, turn it into a lamp or wall clock.
  5. tmckenn2

Thanks fellas! I actually just brought it to a pretty good repair shop outside of Providence - 5 minutes of cleaning (and finding a quick replacement machine head in a drawer) had it working, and yes microphonic pickups. I'm gonna risk the 100 bucks and get the neck adjusted, pickups repotted and see where we are it. It looks cool anyway. I will keep some wiring handy if I do make a lamp.
  6. tmckenn2

Plays fantastic - a lot of fun - good thumpy sound, no buzz, no microphonic issues. Playing through a BA-110 and it's great.

Attached Files: