1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ideal pickup spacings...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

If I were to put a
    Sidewinder
    P-bass pickup
    MM Humbucker
    J-bass pickup

on 1 bass, would it fit? I see it as ultimate versatility. It'd probably be a bi**h to wire but would it fit?
  2. line6man

line6man

Define sidewinder.
  3. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Sorry...
    [​IMG]
    I saw it on a youtube video and the guy said it was a 'Sidewinder humbucker'. (the one at the neck).
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Coils are turned on their side. Sounds like a single coil but with no hum. The tradeoff is the sheer massive size required.

[​IMG]
  5. line6man

line6man

I know what they are, but the pickup could be in any housing.

In any case, the pickups in that SG bass are small enough that you could fit one with a J, MM and P, if you squeeze them together.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Those are often referred to as "mudbuckers"
  7. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

You could probably fit all those on one long scale bass(with a bit space between each, maybe). Then route out the entire lower half of the body for controls. Could be cool though?
  8. MPU

MPU

I have made Lane Poor-like sidewinders inside jazz covers so no massive size needed.