1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ideas for P-Build?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

So I have a black Squier P body. I'm just stuck for ideas I think.

I can do setups pretty well, and I'm kind of handy. I've never soldered and even though I know I can, have never drilled out or routed a guitar/bass.

I'm ok with spending a few hundred over time, but I honestly don't know what I want to make it. I just ordered an SX P that is 100% complete and I will probably like it better than if I built a plain ol Precision myself, so I'm just looking for something different.

Any cool ideas, pics? TIA TB PPL!
  2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

do a poor mans signature model? like a Steve Harris or a Duff McKagan?
  3. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

I have always thought a "3P" would be cool. The dead-center-between neck and bridge routing on a Fender would let you do it with even spacing. You could invert the stacking.No pick guard. I'm working on a P-P project and realized the ones I like have no pick guard. Too cluttered with the big wide pickups for my taste.
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Build it up with a pretty good neck and use it as a "test bed" for trying out different pickups and electronics. You can learn a LOT that way, and maybe find some combination that you'll want to transfer into your MAIN player.
  5. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Super interesting idea. I primarily play Am Std Jazz which I've sworn up and down to never sell or modify. ---But I'm looking for more versatility so this might be a good idea.

I've seen some cool builds on here like the Jagbirds and things like that. Would love something unique/original. Just fishin for ideas.
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

What i would probably do with it right now? Buy a 8 string neck from warmoth, 8 sting nut 8 string bridge, probably add a J pickup, BWB pickgaurd. But that's me i like "different" basses