1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ideas for pedals: Dream/Indie-pop band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

So... i've been itching for more pedals, lately... but i just don't know what to look for.

I play in an Indie-pop/Dream-pop kind of band (think poppy shoegaze if you're not familiar with the labels) Our guitarists use lots of layerd overdrive/delay/reverb/chorus, so for a while i thought that the clean bass would be a nice contrast... but after playing around with some of the pedals i own, i do see a place for some bass effects!

Right now, my pedal board looks like:

1. Boss TU-2 (Tuner)
    2. Digitech Bad Monkey (Bass mod) (Overdrive)
    3. Sanfordandsonny Bluebeard (Fuzz)
    4. Boss CEB-3 (Chorus)
    5. Boss BF-2 (Flanger)
    6. Akai Headrush E-2 (Delay)

So, if anyone plays music similar to this, i'd love some ideas for an additional pedal or two! (I have a gaping void on my pedal-board about the size of 2 boss pedals)

Thanks!
    :bassist:
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You have alot now. Delay is under rated, and can do plenty all on it's own. But, what you don't have is a phaser or a filter. Chorus is cool, flanger can be extreme, and phaser is in between. I love some phaser. And, with a filter, oh, and an octave down, you could really open up your options.
  3. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Definitely a phaser (MXR Phase 90) and I would get a tremolo as well, delay and tremolo work really well together, at least IMHO.
  4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

I play a similar style of music. How about a reverb pedal? I'm looking at the iron Ether nimbus myself. Compressor? Not specific to the genre obviously, but I think they're a good tool for any bass player. Mine's the EBS Multi comp.

I personally use two overdrives (swell B-pro and Fuzzrocious Dark Driving as well as an Mxr octaver, a mean fuzz pedal (depth charge), the Multi comp and a 3leaf enabler preamp/DI.

I'm looking to add the nimbus, chorus (analogman), a phaser (maybe HBE psilocybe?) and possibly some kind of delay.
  5. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Thanks, all!!

I use to have an MXR Phase-90, but i wasn't too happy with it... any other recommendations?

An Octave down is a good idea... i've owned an EHS OctoBass, a Digitech Whammy, and a Boss OC-3... but i was never happy with them... i've been meaning to try a classic OC-2.

I don't want to add any more dirt, as my OD is light, and the Fuzz is as nasty as i ever need to get. I have an (underrated) ODB-3 if i want to get REALLY noisy. Though... i HAVE been GASing for a Catalinbread SFT...

Reverb also hasn't been great. It's my fave effect on guitar, though!! I own an EHX Cathedral, an EHX Holy Grail, an EHX Holy Stain (milti), and a Boss RV-5... but none of them have been usable (for me) on bass.

I'm REALLY interested in a Filter... and i know NOTHING about them. So, any advice would be much appreciated. I've owned an EHX BassBalls, a Digitech Bass Synth Wah... and that's it. An old room mate had a POG2 and a Microsynth that i played with, but nothing substantial... so throw some filter names at me!!

I also have had little experience with Compressor/Expandor pedals...

Thanks for the advice so far!
  6. Neal Manning

Neal Manning

Check out Source Audio's bass lineup. Their reverb and envelope filter are both extremely versatile. Do a search on YouTube.
  7. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals, Blackout Effectors
    I'd go filter of some sort, preferably one that could to random/step filtering. and another delay (modulated analog), or reverb.
  8. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Envelope filters: 3Leaf audio, Iron Ether Xerography Deluxe, and Source Audio, as mentioned above. Messed around with my guitar player's WMD Super Fatman for an hour just now and I am not finding the sweet spots with it, but that's just me.
  9. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Boss PH-2 is a good phaser, it has two phase modes, one is a little more "analog" sounding IMO and the other sounds really digital to me, YMMV though.