Ideas for pedals: Dream/Indie-pop band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

So... i've been itching for more pedals, lately... but i just don't know what to look for.

I play in an Indie-pop/Dream-pop kind of band (think poppy shoegaze if you're not familiar with the labels) Our guitarists use lots of layerd overdrive/delay/reverb/chorus, so for a while i thought that the clean bass would be a nice contrast... but after playing around with some of the pedals i own, i do see a place for some bass effects!

Right now, my pedal board looks like:

1. Boss TU-2 (Tuner)
    2. Digitech Bad Monkey (Bass mod) (Overdrive)
    3. Sanfordandsonny Bluebeard (Fuzz)
    4. Boss CEB-3 (Chorus)
    5. Boss BF-2 (Flanger)
    6. Akai Headrush E-2 (Delay)

So, if anyone plays music similar to this, i'd love some ideas for an additional pedal or two! (I have a gaping void on my pedal-board about the size of 2 boss pedals)

Thanks!
    :bassist:
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You have alot now. Delay is under rated, and can do plenty all on it's own. But, what you don't have is a phaser or a filter. Chorus is cool, flanger can be extreme, and phaser is in between. I love some phaser. And, with a filter, oh, and an octave down, you could really open up your options.
  3. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Definitely a phaser (MXR Phase 90) and I would get a tremolo as well, delay and tremolo work really well together, at least IMHO.
  4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

I play a similar style of music. How about a reverb pedal? I'm looking at the iron Ether nimbus myself. Compressor? Not specific to the genre obviously, but I think they're a good tool for any bass player. Mine's the EBS Multi comp.

I personally use two overdrives (swell B-pro and Fuzzrocious Dark Driving as well as an Mxr octaver, a mean fuzz pedal (depth charge), the Multi comp and a 3leaf enabler preamp/DI.

I'm looking to add the nimbus, chorus (analogman), a phaser (maybe HBE psilocybe?) and possibly some kind of delay.
  5. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Thanks, all!!

I use to have an MXR Phase-90, but i wasn't too happy with it... any other recommendations?

An Octave down is a good idea... i've owned an EHS OctoBass, a Digitech Whammy, and a Boss OC-3... but i was never happy with them... i've been meaning to try a classic OC-2.

I don't want to add any more dirt, as my OD is light, and the Fuzz is as nasty as i ever need to get. I have an (underrated) ODB-3 if i want to get REALLY noisy. Though... i HAVE been GASing for a Catalinbread SFT...

Reverb also hasn't been great. It's my fave effect on guitar, though!! I own an EHX Cathedral, an EHX Holy Grail, an EHX Holy Stain (milti), and a Boss RV-5... but none of them have been usable (for me) on bass.

I'm REALLY interested in a Filter... and i know NOTHING about them. So, any advice would be much appreciated. I've owned an EHX BassBalls, a Digitech Bass Synth Wah... and that's it. An old room mate had a POG2 and a Microsynth that i played with, but nothing substantial... so throw some filter names at me!!

I also have had little experience with Compressor/Expandor pedals...

Thanks for the advice so far!
  6. Neal Manning

Neal Manning

Check out Source Audio's bass lineup. Their reverb and envelope filter are both extremely versatile. Do a search on YouTube.
  7. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals, Blackout Effectors
    I'd go filter of some sort, preferably one that could to random/step filtering. and another delay (modulated analog), or reverb.
  8. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Envelope filters: 3Leaf audio, Iron Ether Xerography Deluxe, and Source Audio, as mentioned above. Messed around with my guitar player's WMD Super Fatman for an hour just now and I am not finding the sweet spots with it, but that's just me.
  9. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Boss PH-2 is a good phaser, it has two phase modes, one is a little more "analog" sounding IMO and the other sounds really digital to me, YMMV though.