1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Identify a Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berlingoff, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Berlingoff

Berlingoff

So first, no picture unfortunately. My buddy found a used Fender Jazz Bass at a GC and put it on layaway for me. Still on police hold and he for whatever reason does not have a camera phone.

He is very knowledgable about guitars so I trust his description. Here are the pertinent details he gave me:

Jazz Bass Configuration including neck size and pickups

Ash body

Maple neck

Rosewood fretboard with white block inlays (says the wood is really dark)

Special Edition sticker on the back of the head stock

Made in Mexico

The description from GC was Fender Standard Jazz Bass

I have been searching the web like crazy and I cannot find anything like this anywhere. Anyone know what this is? Thanks for the help!

2. mongo2

mongo2

3. car_man65

car_man65

It could easily be a bass made of a few different basses

4. Berlingoff

Berlingoff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Berlingoff

Berlingoff

Yea, I could see that. I might head over there tomorrow and get a look at it and take a couple of pictures of it.

7. car_man65

car_man65

If you do , make sure to get the serial number.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Probably a very good chance the 'block inlays' may be stickers the way everything else is described ... what price did you pay, that will tell a lot ?

9. Berlingoff

Berlingoff

GC has it priced at $299.99. I don't take their pricing as 100% accurate as I have bought plenty of things from them that were mis-priced.

As for it being stickers, that would be hilarious. My buddy has been buying and selling guitars for 25+ years so that would be a great target for me against him!

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

well the description and price would indicate it was the FSR nat ash Jazz that has been running since about 2003 at GC/MF .... they switched from white to tort guard about '05/06, and it has the 'Special Edition' sticker on the back of the headstock, and rosewood board ... currently about $479 new at MF I think ...

11. Berlingoff

Berlingoff

Stickers.... Stickers I say.

I got some great ammo against my buddy, it is the FSR that has been mentioned with stickers on the fretboard to look like nicer inlays. Guess he needs some glasses now.

Thanks all for the help.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... thats scary when I start identifying basses accurately based on erroneous descriptions, and without even seeing them ... I think its time to get off here and get a life ... :(