Identify F-Holes?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DMcNutt, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DMcNutt

DMcNutt

Disclosures:
    Inventor, McNutt Bass Cradles
    I have looked at hundreds of photos of f-holes trying to find any similar to those on my double bass. (Photos below) No luck so far.

To my amateur eyes the most unusual aspects of my f-holes are their low placement on the bass and the interior of the f-holes which are curves and come to a point.

Any links to photos of similar f-holes by known makers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    They have a vaguely Czech or bohemian look to me. I'll be interested in knowing what the final guesses are. Is the string length long?

3. DMcNutt

DMcNutt

Disclosures:
    I would be interested in comparable photos, if you come across any.

String length is 41 1/2"

4. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

The ffs are very interesting indeed. Rarely do I see them cut so vertically, to the point of leaning backwards. My guess would be more Italian or English particularly in lieu of the violin outline if the bass. What do you know about the instrument? How about a thorough photo shoot?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DMcNutt

DMcNutt

Disclosures:
    No papers on this bass. That is why I would like to find photos of comparable ff-holes. My hope is that their particular shape may give some clue as to the general origin of the bass.

7. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

If your goal is to identify the origins of the bass we will simply need more information than a few photos of the ffs to help you out with any accuracy. F-holes can be very personal, carved with distinctive features (as in the connected ffs of some Prescotts) but I don't see anything wildly distinctive there. What I do see is a slab cut top, very Italian looking violin corners and an absence of purfling. So here is a case where you are trying to identify a vintage car by its hubcaps when you should be looking at the enormous tailfins. If you post a full range of photos, front, back, heel of neck, scroll, etc i bet we will get pretty close to the origins of what you've got there...including those backward leaning ffs.

8. DMcNutt

DMcNutt

Disclosures:
    In my original post I was only asking if anyone knew of photos of similar ff holes. Sorry if I appeared to be asking for more.

9. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Yeah, I guess I'm not understanding your logical sequence. You know nothing about the bass but want to know if we've seen any ffs like yours. Usually in determining such a feature we would start with a country or region where the bass seems to fit, and then a date, and then possible builders or schools of builders, then maybe THE luthier and then other basses by that luthier. See what I mean? The way you seem to be looking at it is the old "cut off my ff holes to spite my bass"...

10. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Yes, though, I have seen similar ff's...on Italian basses.

11. jnel

jnel Guest

I checked out your cradles- good idea-they look nice and I would imagine that they might be easier to use than the traditional type in some situations.

Your f holes. Very interesting- a couple of observations; the E side appears higher than the G. The E looks to be about 1.5 inches higher. It could be the angle of the picture, or is that your knee forming the C bout on the E side effecting the optical eclipse. Anyway, the E side f looks to be in the right location.

A straight on shot of the bass would be helpful.

12. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

The last time I saw violin corners like that was on an instrument behind glass at the Met.

13. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Yes McNutt, those are from a Hungarian maker who is copying an Italian design somewhat reminiscent of Bottessini's Testore. ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357567953.600833.jpg

14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Jason-- you're not supposed to show pictures of the entire bass! Get with the program, man. :D Thanks for revealing McNutt's ruse.

15. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

I do think you've generated quite abut of interest in your bass. Care to share it with the rest of us bassists? What do you know about it?