Identify this Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ReverseFender94, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

My uncle gave me this as a Christmas present. It's really beat up (terribly cracked neck), but there's no name on it anywhere other than stickers on the back of the neck that say "559 1462" and a ripped sticker that looks like it says "Made in Korea"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. That cracked neck means it's probably only good for wall art anyway.

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Don't have much info to offer, other than the fact that the neck reminds me of the one that was on my old 60's "Cameo" bass... which was like a 32" scale P bass clone that ended up getting fitted with an old Guild bass humbucker. The tuning machines are the same too. The Cameo was a fun little bass and I sorta wish I had held onto it.
    I doubt yours is a Cameo... but it does seem to have a neck and tuners that may have come out of the same factory... so if nothing else, maybe that just gives you a ball-park 60s/70s date of manufacture

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

Thanks for the replies, guys! I had a feeling it was 60s/70s, but it got me really curious. I'd like to see if there's any possible hope in getting it playable. It looks like a neat little bass.

7. oboylebass

oboylebass

With a crack in the neck like that and a broken nut (plus god knows what else), the cost of getting it repaired would be far far far more than what it's worth. Kind of like when a car gets "totaled".

8. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

It's probably a lost cause, but I wanna give it a valiant do-it-yourself effort. I've got tools and decent know-how to give fixing it a shot.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Better than a lump of coal.

10. f64

f64 Supporting Member

Hey, Merry Christmas! As some have said the neck looks pretty bad. If it were mine and I wanted it as a player I'd first check that the electronics work. If the pots are scratchy that's an easy fix. With everything working I'd get a used neck and install it. If the pups and pots are dead - I'd just have it on the wall. Good luck and have fun!

11. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

Electronics are good. How common are 24" scale bass necks?

12. f64

f64 Supporting Member

24" is measured from where to where? You want to measure from the bridge where the strings intersect to the nut.

13. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

24" from nut to bridge saddle. I'm actually surprised a bass has this small of a scale length, I've never seen anything like this.

14. f64

f64 Supporting Member

Over the years there have been many manufacturers exporting 3/4 size "youth" starter guitars to the US. This may be similar. I'd install a standard bass neck from Warmouth or off eBay.

15. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

If you wanted to get real crafty you could even attach a guitar neck and install a guitar bridge + pickup... 24" is pretty close to common guitar scale lengths 24 3/4" and 25.5"

16. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

That was my plan if the neck was unfixable. I was thinking of making a Bass VI type thing.

Now, does anyone have an idea of who made this bass?

17. Hues

Hues

No idea about the maker...But any time you see a Sun-burst finish with the black completely covering the forearm contour area, it's a plywood body.

18. grisezd

grisezd

I've got a 24in neck in the closet, very similar to that broken one. No idea who made it, was in the attic of a very old music store in my area. I've got a project in mind for it but if you get desperate you can give me a shout. That said, at a 24in scale that thing isn't going to play or sound all that great. I'd clean it up and hang it.

19. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

thanks for the offer! I may be PMing you in the future.

20. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

You can donate those strings to someone who plays flatwounds. Bet they wouldn't notice the difference. <-----semi-joking

21. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

Haha, if anyone wants three reaaaalllyyyy short flats, let me know!