1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Identifying My New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linafelt, Dec 30, 2013.

1. linafelt

linafelt

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

blacktop jazzes have 2 p pickups. everything looks just like an aftermarket upgraded mim to me. ive seen a bridge like that for sale before, cant remember where though.

3. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Could be an MIM standard, which has been upgraded and blacked out. It's got a Hipshot A or knockoff bridge. The varitone was probably purchased as a prewired control assembly. What do the mini-switches do? Haven't seen those before.

It's highly unlikely that someone would do these upgrades, and not upgrade the pickups, so these were probably replaced. If you open it up, and take some pix, some of the pickup gurus here could probably tell you what you've got.

Would have began life with a white pickguard, most likely.

My biggest concern would be the quality of the control components, and if the control plate is black, or painted over chrome. Paint on chrome usually peels and flakes, eventually. Other than that, looks nice to me. Congrats!

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

pic of body could be almost anything, could have been a Squier, Fender, aftermarket, etc ... you have a pick of headstock (front and back)?

I would NOT call this a body with 'upgrades' ... this is a body with MODIFICATIONS made to it ... some of the changes may be an improvement to some people, but to others it is simply a bunch of modifications that would probably not have been made in mass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. linafelt

linafelt

Thanks, all. My instructor has the bass for review and set-up, as I am a total newbie. Headstock says MIM Fender Jazz, but I will post photos when I get it back in the next few days...THANKS again for the helpful information and discussion!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice lookin' bass. Get some tunes under your belt & you'll be an onstage bada$$.

Get some nice onstage clothes to wear too. ;)