1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by David Jayne, Dec 12, 2013.

1. David Jayne

David Jayne

Well isn't this lovely. Just received a letter from my health insurance provider(one of the big ones) explaining that two laptops were stolen from their NJ offices. They explained that "These laptops may have contained your name, SS#, address, birthdate and policy number. These laptops were password protected but not encrypted." "We have no reason to believe that these laptops were stolen for the information they contain." Are you ******* kidding me?!?!?
    They gave me year membership with Experian. Super. First my bank, now them. WT*?!? Would you guys PLEASE lock the place up better?!?!?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Not saying you should, but there is certainly a lawsuit here. They have a duty to protect your information and unsecured laptops disappearing doesn't seem like they took the proper precautions to protect it.

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

Oh, but they did. They said that "these laptops were secured to desks with cable lock security devices." Well, that settles that then.

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Same exact thing happened to me some years ago with my health care provider. That was quite awhile ago and I never heard anything more about it. As far as I know I'm in the clear. Hopefully you will be too. Either way, it's not worth worrying about unless you notice things starting to happen. Just hold on to that notice from your insurance company so you can place fault should you need to.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sounds like an inside job.

7. warnergt

warnergt

Isn't there a company that sells identity theft insurance?
    Ordinarily, I wouldn't get it but, in this circumstance, it might
    be worth signing up for a year.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Good luck claiming on that policy ^. Insurance requires disclosure of relevant facts, such as known loss of said laptop.

9. David Jayne

David Jayne

That's what Experian is.

10. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Life Lock.

My wife's purse was stolen a year and a half ago and we had problems for the next 12 months or so. So far, Life Lock
    has warned us if someone is messing with our credit.

11. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Lifelock

12. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) Experian only notifies you after the fact and allows you to track your accounts. But Lifelock (Life Lock?) and some others actually prevent identity thieves from opening accounts using your information.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

This sounds different from the usual concept of insurance.