IE Xerograph Deluxe with SA Hot Hand 3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by old-fashioned, Nov 26, 2012.

1. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Has anybody tried these together, or have any idea about the compatibility?
    I have a Xerograph Deluxe and a Moog EP2. I wonder if the Hot Hand 3 will make an improvement...

2. behndy

behndy

i can't remember who, but somebody said they could get fast wobbles with their's, i could not. didn't work well with my HH at all, but i didna put a ton of time into it.

3. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

I made a quick vid last night showing the HH3 into the Xerograph Deluxe (via an Expressionator). I didn't get a chance to edit it but I'll finish it and post tonight.

4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Woohoo! Looking forward to it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    When I still had my Xero, I thought it worked quite well with the HH3.

7. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Thanks a lot. I can't wait to see it!

8. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I found the HH3 wasn't as sensitive(I had the WMD Super Fatman) as the HH2 and the BEFPro.

9. Basehead

Ok, made a really short vid showing how the Xero D responds to the Hot Hand 3. I'm feeding the expression out from the HH3 into a TRS switcher (thanks Mr. Moote!) and then into the Mission Expressionator, finally into the Xero D. Additional sounds supplied by a Boss OC-2 into a CoPilot Orbit.

IMHO, it responds well but not as sharp as it does into the Source Audio BEF Pro. I do use both, since I hear a difference between the two. Not saying one is better than the other, just different flavors. Enjoy!

Oh, and sorry for the crappy iPad vid, but I seem to have misplaced my camera...

10. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    We have tested this as well. In fact, it is right at the beginning of this video:

11. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

dialing in the HH3 is an important step. I'm using mine on a M5 and it has bar graphic to show you what's going on. The expressionator has a great readout for this. Without that visual cue adjustments take a while and with a wacky pedal that can make it even harder. Plus I wear mine with the logo to my knuckle. This changes its response for me as well.

12. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Hmm. These videos are cool. Especially the one by basehead was convincing for me.

I guess I can understand what you mean here by "sharp". It still sounds great though.

Yes, this is the point I need to clarify. It is all about the distance right? So, it is the distance between the ring and what? The distance with the pickup, or the receiver? Do you beforehand set the distance the HH3 is going to start responding? I'm a little confused here...

Thank you all guys. Talkbass is like a dream come true.

13. Basehead

Yes, it reacts VERY WELL but you can tell that the BEF Pro is a bit more sensitive. That Xerograph wobble is pretty crushing though...

What Gadget is referring to is you need to properly set up the Depth and Smooth knobs on the Hot Hand receiver. I had to play with these to get the best reaction to my hand movement...I haven't spent a lot of time doing this so that will come this weekend.

14. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    That's pretty neat-o!

15. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

What I don't understand is: You have your guitar on, you put the ring on, plug the receiver, everything is on, your rig is ready to play... You start to play some notes on the fingerboard. Now your hand with the ring starts to move. There must be a position where the HH doesn't doesn't make any effect. Then you must move your hand further (change it's position) to trigger the effect. (Just lke an expression pedal) How do you set or know that hand position where the HH doesn't make any effect?

Sorry for my lousy English...

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The position of the ring doesn't actually matter - it isn't measuring changes in position per se.

The hot hand is based around an accelerometer. So it responds to changes in velocity. So it doesn't matter what position you put it in, as long as it isn't moving, or moving very little.

17. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Yesss, now I get it! Thank you.

18. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

You got. You can adjust how much movement is required and the axis plus position before it responds. You see most people using the ring on their thumb, that way you can move you other fingers without moving you thumb. You can also adjust it so you have to really aggressively move your hand to work it. Or increase the range so you have to move it vertically like 90 degrees from where your hand is in normal playing position. Or choose an opposing axis from strumming etc.

In Basehead's video you can see the level meter on the exressionator moving, that is extremely helpful. Plus with an expressionator you can turn the HH3 signal on and off. Another helpful thing. With SA Pro pedals or something like a M5 you can just make presets with the HH on/off.

19. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

If I just feed the HH3 into the Xero D, will I get good results? I don't have an Expressionator, so there would be no remapping or scaling of the HH3 signal.

20. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

you should. I may have made it sound more complicated than it is. Out of the box you have everything you need but a TRS cable. It should get wobbles instantly, then you can fine tune if necessary. I visual cue only helps.

21. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Hi guys, sorry for being so problematic, but...
    Finally I’ve received my Hot Hand 3 today. It looks perfect, seems to work perfectly (I mean the lights on it are all working) but I can not get any response soundwise...
    I have an Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe and I purchased the HH3 to use with it. I have a Moog EP2 as well, and I set my Xero the same way I use it with my EP2 and plug the HH3 instead of the EP2, but while the EP2 responds perfectly, the HH3 doesn’t affect the sound at all. I tried all I can think of. I tried different settings (both on the Xero and the HH3), checked the cable. One thing I didn’t try is the “configuring the expression output” (page 13 on the user’s guide) with those tiny set of switches under the receiver. I didn’t, because I didn’t understand how to adjust them.
    Any advice?