1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

IEM - I'm a convert

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jmoorewright, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jmoorewright

jmoorewright

First I went amp-less, now this...

I've been skirting the issue of trying IEMs for a while now, finally went and bought a pair of Shure SE215s to give it a try. Well, a couple of weeks of practicing at home, one rehearsal and one gig, and I'm sold!

The overall clarity and ability to hear the rest of the band, the lack of ringing ears, the ability to hear nuances of my playing (and the mistakes), the ability to lock in with the kick...I was a happy guy.

Still lots of room for improvement: the 215s are OK but not stellar. Need to tweak the monitor mix. I was using a little Behringer mixer to control mix/volume but would like a more compact setup. But these are all solvable problems.

I am now actively proselytizing the rest of the band. Drummer is also converted, keyboard/vocalist is considering. It's only a matter of time... :)

2. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien

I had a similar experience, and I also enjoy playing live with IEMs for the same reasons.

I use a rolls pm351, where I can control my own monitor mix, and the mix of the entire band coming from the mixer monitor out, independently.

I first played a couple of gigs with my UE triple fi 10s, and once I saw that it made sense for me, I sent them to Unique Melody in china, for a reshell. I now own custom made in ear monitors!

I still use the amp/cab, but they are low profile (GB shuttle, and a single Aguilar 112), just so I can feel a little bit of air moving next to my legs :D.

3. the explode man

the explode man

Just get an A+H Mix Wizard 12M. Every member of the band can set their own mix independent of everyone else and she's only $2K!

4. jmoorewright

jmoorewright

I'll have to check to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that's the mixer we have!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaywa

jaywa

I was astounded after my 1st couple of IEM gigs at how un-tired I was at the end if the night. Compared to the old days with wedges when it was all I could do to get through a 4-hour bar gig.

High SPLs onstage can really take it out of you and not just your ears.

7. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

I use Ultimate Ears UE 7's. I too take an Aguilar SL 112, just to move some air. I would love to take a pleasure board but it weighs 40 pounds.

8. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    Just received my custom Alclairs Dual XB IE's. Can't wait to try them out live!