1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

IEM Mix Question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Wireking1, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Wireking1

Wireking1 Supporting Member

I play at our church and have the fortune of controlling my own personal mix into IEM. Without much thought, I have been jacking my bass up in the mix so I could really hear myself. Any opinions on how you would ideally mix things for yourself if you had total control.

We have lots of other moving pieces: lead/ background vocals, lead guitar, 2 acoustic guitars, baby grand, keyboard and drums. I am inclined to mix it with me up front in the mix so as to not get lost, but at times I lose some sense of dynamics with the "me" centered approach. Any thoughts?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Ideally with IEMs, I'd like a silent stage and the FOH mix in my ears.

If the FOH mix is unbalanced to accommodate stage spill in a small venue, I'd like my IEM mix as balanced as possible (as opposed to a more-me mix).

3. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Is it mono or stereo? If stereo then pan gtr 1 70% to left, gtr2 70% right, sim with keys, BV's I do 100% pan L/R. I have only myself and worship leader centre.

Also, good ambients will pick up a lot of the 'natural' sound on stage, others will sound less 'in your face' letting you lower most volume settings.

4. Wireking1

Wireking1 Supporting Member

The signal is mono I believe.

I will give the more balanced mix a shot. We have had others suggest adding ambient mics to equation. We will give these a shot. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

When I was last playing a church gig we had IEMs + Avioms and that ruled. Could split each guitar signal to L/R ears and get a stereo effect, same for the vox, etc..

7. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

We decided to put a condenser overhead just for monitors. I put a couple of things I want louder in mine and then just a tad of the overall from the condenser.