IEM system Sennheiser G3 vs Carvin EM900

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Thumper, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I'm looking at these two systems for use in a weekend bar-band. G3 is $800, EM900 is $400. They both have stereo/mono, 2 inputs, and limiters (G3 adjustable, EM set).

The frequency ranges are: G3 - 24 Hz-18KHz, EM - 30 Hz-15 KHz (-3 dB)

S/N: G3 - 90 dBA, EM - 80 dBA

Additionally, the G3 has an Ethernet port (for computer controlling, not a big issue for me), a second antenna (I'm assuming the EM doesn't), 5 band EQ (a plus), HDX compander noise reduction (another plus?), focus (in addition to mono/stereo, don't know what this is), and a rackmount kit (a $35 plus).

The EM receiver (body pack) has a pan control (probably a plus), Phase Lock Loop (PLL, noise reduction?) and reportedly a better ear bud set. I'm not sure who the Carvin system OEM is, if in fact not Carvin.

Never having used an IEM system, I'm looking for input whether the G3 has enough benefits to warrant the drastic price difference.
  2. skydogg

skydogg

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the G3 for $800?
  3. The Sennheiser only has one (and only needs one) antenna, same as the other. The Carvin spec looks fine, and will probably do you. I've got a rack of Sennheisers, and some Trantecs (UK brand) and the things that make a difference for me are adequate volume, metal packs and ease of getting to the volume knob. Stage distances are usually quite small, so performance usually doesn't stretch them that much. I like the Trantecs, performance wise - but I won't buy any more because I cracked the case on one when I leaned heavily on a right angle edge - and it got damaged. The Sennheiser design can also get in the way, though - the two little pads on the front can actuate when you lean on things and you might start with the pan wildly set to one side. The Sennheiser can either have these set to pan, or to focus - so you can send the left input to anywhere left-to right and the same with the right - so you could have your bass and the rest minus your bass on the other, and then balance them up to both ears. So leaning on the buttons can mess you up. I'd be happy I think, with the Carvin - although it's a new radio brand to me.
  4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Ebay for $799
  5. Register to disable this ad