IEM's and cab off stage

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by RDT, Jan 1, 2013.

1. RDT

Aug 28, 2009
    I've been using this set up for the last handful of gigs and I just wanted to share. A few years ago, we opened for Bucky Covington's band and I noticed that they had no amps on stage. This not only 'cleaned the stage up', but it made for an ultra quiet stage (minus the acoustic percussion equipment...which there was a lot of, since Bucky's twin brother is 1 of his percussionists.) I thought it was a cool set-up, but didn't give much thought after that.

This all started with me getting my first set of custom IEM's. I've used high end universals for a long time, but decided to pull the trigger on customs. In the past I, as a lot of IEM users do, used only 1 IEM (for the band mix) and left the other out to hear my rig. Upon getting the custom IEM's, I thought it was silly to have a $500 IEM hanging out there not in use. But, since the seal is so good, putting it in meant I lost my cab sound. Then I remember Bucky's set-up.

I decided to buy a cab grabber mic clamp and a T mount dual microphone holder. I use 2 mic's on my cab...1 to FOH and 1 to the left channel of my IEM(this way I have total control of my bass sound in my ear). At larger venues I, literally, place my whole rig off or behind the stage. At smaller places, I simply turn the cab around backwards. BTW, I use a wireless guitar bug, too. I run a Genz ShuttleMax 12.0 and now I, literally, have the volume on the amp at the 2nd detent up from which I start to get sound.

While we have always prided our self on having low stage volume, since we all use IEM's (the 1 IEM method), since I started doing this it has been reduced even more, obviously! My 2 guitarist run Mesa tube amps, so there is still quite a bit of volume on stage, by comparison. The other thing I noticed was, since I was getting myself piped directly into my left ear, how "sloppy" my playing was (i.e., string talk, etc.). This has made me focus on playing 'cleaner'. I know most of the string talk, etc. doesn't project out front, but even the SE has mentioned that he has noticed my playing has 'cleaned up' since I started running this set-up. And as to hearing the other guys talk on stage? My IEM has a place for an aux mic. I use a cheap lavalier mic clipped on my shirt.

Obviously since I seen Bucky's band do this, I'm not a pioneer on this set-up. But, I just wanted to share how happy I am, so far, with it!

Happy New Year to everyone!

2. Have you tried just leaving the amp at home?
  3. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Very cool. Glad it's working for you!
    Happy New Year.
  4. RDT

Aug 28, 2009

Yeah...the load in/out is much easier. However, the range of my wireless limits us to gigs within 300ft of my house!
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Dec 5, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    MNAir: Great question.

I play lots of shows with ears where I don't take my rig off the bus. I use a powered cab because my whole signal chain is on a Pedal Train Pro. I'm up in about 5 min. and have 2 cables, the DI off my pre and power. My tone is in my ear every night.