If I have an MXR M80+ should I still get a BOSS GEB-7?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TDee, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TDee

TDee

The title kind of explains this thread. Just looking for opinions. I already have an M80+ that I use to do some shaping with the limited EQ it has on it, and also use the DI a lot. I occasionally use the distortion, but its very lightly mixed in when I do. So I'm wondering what you all think about getting a GEB-7 in addition for EQ. Useful? Overkill?

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Do you need more EQ? Then yes, get it. The M80 is basically a preamp, hence the "limited" EQ. It's not meant to shape tone so much as set a baseline tone. A graphic multi-band EQ like the Boss is more for suited that and for targeting certain frequencies to control, which is helpful for "fixing" acoustic problems in whatever room you are playing in. Because it's a pedal, though, it can also be great for setting up different sounds that you can turn on and off, such as a scoop tone for slapping, boosted low/cut highs for reggae, etc.

3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

May I suggest another option? If you get a Zoom MS60b, you can program in multiple eq settings and switch them with the foot switch. Plus, it has a decent tuner, compressors, and a lot of other great effects. The Zoom doesn't cost much more than the Boss eq.

4. TDee

TDee

Thanks for the advice. I never really thought about using the GEB7 just as a stomp box for achieving a different sound when needed, and I have ran into a few situations where the room was affecting certain frequencies that I couldn't fix very well.

For the Zoom, I've never been a very big fan of digital multi effects. I already have tuner, compression, and distortion stomps, so I don't know if I'd be gaining much form the multi effect pedal. Although, the idea of multi effect boxes did intrigue me into experimenting with different pedals and sounds I wouldn't normally use, so I downloaded the Line6 Pod Farm 2 application for my Mac and have been messing around with different effects to see what I might like. I'm just starting to look into using pedals and effects. For the longest time I would just plug straight into the amp, or maybe a tuner stomp box first.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

Well, the thing about the MS-60b is that it has a GEB-7 model on it. So for about the same price you get 57 additional pedals if you like, including some very good compression options and a tuner. You could theoretically come out with fewer pedals between you and your amp. There's definite value in having those physical sliders on the Boss, but just something to consider.

7. TDee

TDee

I'm sure it's been covered here before, but what do you think about the Zoom Bass B2.1u? There's one available used on CL in my area for $75. I think for that price it's actually worth trying out. I'm just struggling with the idea of digital multi effects......

8. jumblemind

Personally, I would stick with the B3 or MS-60b. There are more useful models in those IMO and more in the way of compression, EQ and preamps. Honestly, if just one pedal model on the 60b works for you, you've got your $99 value. If two work, you've got a great deal. Beyond that you are coming out way ahead. And you can easily flip it in the classifieds here if you don't like it.

I hear you on the multi trepidation. I swore I would never own one myself, but just check out the threads around here on those two models. They are legit.

9. TDee

TDee

OK, after reading up on it, the MS-60b does sound like a pretty decent pedal at a good price. How are the compression pedals on that unit? If I could use it for compression and EQ that would be great (I'm also looking to replace my comp pedal), then just add another effect or two as needed. I do need a flanger for one song but didn't want to buy one.

10. jumblemind

Check out the MS-60b mega thread(s). People dig the compressors, especially the one loosely based on the dbx160.