If I like dead Boomers...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FourBanger, Feb 10, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

I have a set of old Boomers on a secondhand RBX170 I recently bought (my second, first went away). I have determined I have GHS Boomers on it, 45-100, and I really do like the tone compared to the couple types of strings I tried on the first one I had (stock whatever, Xls, Half Rounds, then Slinkys).

I am going to change the strings, however, because that is the kind of guy I am and because I would prefer a larger E string.

So, if I like the tone of dead Boomers, what else might I like to try?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Funny you say that, those strings are on the top of my list.
  4. autodidact

autodidact

I would shoot for one step further than GHS Pressure Wounds and go for GHS Brite Flats.

I use Pressure Wounds primarily and they don't really give you the broken in sound. To my ears they sound almost as bright as a roundwound with less finger noise while moving around the frets. That being said, I love them but they still sound like they have a lot of life in them.

Brite flats will give you a nice mix between the two, giving you a little zing if you want it but they can easily be tamed down for that "dead string" sound, especially after a few weeks breaking in.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

You'll love anything Ernie Ball
  7. levis76

levis76 Supporting Member

Find someone who likes fresh Boomers and make an offer for his next used set. Just make sure his scale length and tuner layout are the same as yours, ie - 4 inline, 3+1, 2+2. Orrrr, slap on a fresh set and play the crap out of them.
  8. abemo

abemo

Do youj have an extra bass? Put new strings on one bass for practice, then move them to your main. Ax once they're broken in
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't understand the logic of "If I like ____ strings, what else should I get?" Get Boomers! Sheesh! It's pretty logical, isn't it?
  10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Logic being there might be something that sounds like dead Boomers sooner than new Boomer, and because I like to tinker.

If i can't decide to pull the trigger on something different it will be more Boomers.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member