If I like Lo-Riders, what else do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

Hello, all.

For the last few years, I've had DR Lo-Riders on my EB Stingray, and really like them.

I like their slightly stiff feel, warmish tone, and I think they have just the right amount of growl.

So, if I like these strings, what else would you recommend I put on my Stingray?

I like warmer, darker sounding strings, and am open to the idea of flats. I've used Rotosound 77s, and La Bella 760s

What about D'Addario Chromes?

DR Neons?

Any others?

I may go and buy a set tomorrow.

Thanks.

Mike

2. GK Growl

GK Growl

So why change if you really like them? Also, are these the stainless or nickelplated Lo Riders?

3. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

They're nickel plated.

Why change?

It's been a while, and I'd like to see if there's another string(s) that would go with a Stingray's aggressive tone.

I only like warm-sounding strings on a 'Ray.

Thanks.

Mike

4. pedroims

pedroims

This week I put a set of Dean Markley Helix Nickels in my Stingray, you said you like warm/dark tone, try this set. Full warm sound with well defined bottom , in finger style the highs are clean crispy, slap your bass to wake up the highs' monster.

I first heard of these strings in this thread, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/anyone-using-try-dean-markley-bass-helix-strings-869139/

I liked the comments and I went for them, I am very happy with this set. Bass string online have them on sale with free shipping.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Levin

Levin

Fodera nickels on a Stingray! Best combo I've tried yet, warm, articulate, plays extremely well.
    They remind you more of Sunbeams tho', altough they're stiff in a way.
    Really recommend them tho, my to go-string since I've tested them 1½ years ago.
    For active basses, for my Stingray, they always shine! But i bet they'd be a bit weird on a passive, I don't know. The sound would probably nice tho'.

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

For a more warm sound you should try the DR LoRider nickel version, or the D'addario nickel too.
    It's been a while from the last time I tried some of different, when you find the right tone, the right feel why change it ;-)?
    Cheers

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me

8. GK Growl

GK Growl

OP already uses the nickel Lo Riders. As far as D'Addario XL nickels, to my ears these are some of the brightest and zingiest nickels around. They do mellow rather quickly for some though. Out of the box, I found Dunlop nickels rather dull sounding but others tell me that is warmth and a more broken in sound that stays for awhile. I like more zing so I removed them quickly.

9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Not sure how they would sound on a ray... either ghs flats or dr flats?
    Broken in chromes sound like a good idea.
    1 week old ernie ball nps slinkies also, after the top end has settled down.

10. chris_b

chris_b

I had DR Lo-Riders on my Lull PJ5 for a couple of years and I was pretty happy with my sound, until I heard a Lull P5 with flats.

I put Lakland flats on mine and the improvement in my tone was night and day better. I haven't used flats since the early 70's, but now they are on this bass for good.

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you like the Low-Riders, try the Marcus Miller Low-Beams. Awesome string and very similar. Ive been using them lately because the GC I go to all the time is ALWAYS out of them!! I cant stand it. The Low-Beams are pretty sweet though.

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Slinkies are actually my favorite string on a Stingray. Dunno, just works so well.

13. greenrositti

greenrositti Supporting Member

Chromes are glorious on a StingRay.

14. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

I've never heard of these strings, but that's what this site is for; exchange of information.

We all know how aggressive the preamp in a Stingray is, that's why I like to use dark-sounding strings.

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.

Mike

15. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

I've only had 2 sets of strings on my SR5, the stock EB Slinkys and the DR Lo Rider Nickels. I've been real happy with the DRs and they have slightly more tension than the EBs - but not too much. Flats are a whole nuther animal, so whether Chromes, TIs or other brands. I have TI's on one of my PBasses which I love but dunno if I would like on SR. Been tempted to try the Dean Markleys.

16. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

Well, looky, looky at what I found: :cool:

A video of a comparison of two of the sets of strings we've been talking about on a Stingray.

The DRs, and the Chromes.

Mike