if i was to go fretless what would be the cheapest way

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Flounder102Bass, Jan 16, 2013.

?

is i was to go fretless what would be the cheapest way

Poll closed Jan 23, 2013.
  1. Defretted

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Buy a fretless neck

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  1. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

im looking fowerd to go fretless on my fender usa p bass it makes it feel more smooth and no fret buzz but what is cheaper dealing with fretless? thanks for helping me god bless
  2. rfslick

rfslick

I'm not a fretless player as I sing too much to worry about being in the right position also. However, I don't think I would do that to my only bass. I would find a cheaper bass to try a while to see if that's what I really want to do. Then I would still have the P to go back to. I don't think that most players have that as their only bass. What part of the world do you live?
  3. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

4. svt1233

svt1233

well obviously defret is going to be cheapest because it doesnt involve buying anything. buying a fretless neck means you buy a neck, defret only takes a little work with a screwdriver or knife
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rfslick

rfslick

I think that this is the way to go. It's a minor investment and doesn't leave you without a fretted bass if you wind up not being comfortable with the frettless.
  7. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

As was mentioned - the CHEAPEST way would be do defret it yourself. I did it to my first bass, and it turned out decent. However, if it's one of your main players, I might recommend buying a fretless neck for a couple of reasons. First, to make sure that it is a quality neck, and second, in case you end up not wanting to keep it fretless, you would still have the original neck that you could swap back on.
  8. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

But then, you have possibly torn up your bass. A defrett job may cost 150 or so.
    I suggest the SX frettless basses http://www.rondomusic.com/Bassguitarfretless.html
    Then your good bass is still together if it doesn't work out for you :)
  9. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

I did do a defret job on my first bass a 61 P bass and it still is but, if I had to do it again I would have left it alone, why?
    61 P bass :scowl:
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^^^WRONG. :spit: Using a screwdriver or a knife will result in a a hack job which can destroy the wood on the fretboard...and therefore ruins the value of the entire bass, making it the MOST expensive option.

It's not expensive in cash to defret a bass correctly, but to do it RIGHT (and there are many threads on here describing the process) takes 10+ hours by the time you're finished, at least the first time you do it. You have to determine the value of your time and the value of learning how to do this. It may be worth it or it may not. When you're done, remember that you have a non-factory fretless bass which is worth less than it was when it had frets.

Neither a screwdriver or a knife have ANY part in the process. They are completely inappropriate.
  11. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Buy fretless neck, sell fretted neck. Free, or you might even make money doing it. And there's very little chance of ending up with a hunk of junk.
  12. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

if i was gonna defretted i will take it to a professional to do it if is cheaper
  13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Get a fretless neck. You can always go back to fretted if you change your mind. And unlike buying a fretted neck, there's a lot less fussery to setting one up. You wouldn't have to spend a fortune. So to me, that's the cheaper way to keep your options open. Or, buy the cheapest neck you can find where the frets are beyond hope and defret that.
  14. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

A replacement neck will be cheaper than professional custom work.
  15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Buy an old Peavey Foundation and learn how to remove the frets yourself. Nothing particularly wrong with the SX either, but I think the peaveys are more consistent and have better pickups.
  16. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    This. Turning a 400 dollar neck into a 100 dollar neck is the quickest way, but not the cheapest.
  17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I doubt if that would be the cheapest way since you would devalue a valuable significantly. And fretless P-Bass is an oxymoron.

There are hundreds of fretless basses for sale of will be for sale this month. Or any month. Take a look around and get one that's already visited the reptile dentist.

18. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

19. rfslick

rfslick

20. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

And if it doesn't work out, Craig List that thing or give it to a deserving kid you know :)

BTW Rondo will get more P basses in if that is the style you like.
  21. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

Flounder102Bass what part of the country are you in?