If it aint broke...don't fix it

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

i would just like to get some opinions on this.

i have always been of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" persuasion.

my ex-boss, however, was decidedly not. in fact, he told me in no uncertain terms that that was a stupid philosophy. he always went for the newest fixes, computer/software upgrades, etc.

i just wondered what the consensus of the TB community is on this.

I still am of that opinion, and in fact, just today, told Itunes that i did not want their latest upgrade and not to ask me again. i have done this before, so am under no illusion that they really will NOT ASK ME AGAIN, but, there you go.

chime in with thoughts.

[​IMG]
  2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Depends on what you're fixing... or not fixing.
  3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

you could go the myspace/facebook route "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is"
  4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Yesterday in leadership training at my company our teacher recommended this book, saying if we were to read just one book on leadership, this is the one we should read:

First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently

I bought the Hardcover edition used on Amazon for 2¢
  5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

let us know if it was worth it
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

If we didn't fix what wasn't broken we would still be living in caves....
  7. MatticusMania

Im sure it was worth the 2¢, at least :D

Here is a description:

Its got 215 five star reviews, 59 four star, and 45 that are 3 stars or lower (not that that means the book is any good).
  8. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Most of the time I think that particular adage is bunk because It's typically use to dismiss ideas that are either new or different and discourages free and progressive thought without basis. That isn't to say that you have to have the latest and greatest everything or that every change is good but make that evaluation before saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or better yet, forgo the saying altogether and just explain yourself.

So I guess I'm with your boss. At least when it comes to his opinion on the saying itself.
  9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

One word. PBass. I'll admit that they did get better with the humbucker but that's something that needed fixing. And the Rosewood board might also fit into that category.
  10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

In the business world, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" leaves you behind the times and trying to play catch up with the people who did fix what wasn't broke. That attitude helped to put my Grandfather's printing company out of business, and led my former employer to be nearly out of business for some time, barely scraping by. Meanwhile, companies who do fix things if they're not broke innovate ideas, streamline production, and increase profits and product quality, leading to more of a higher quality product being available, or at least one with more toys and appeal to a larger audience.

When it comes to business, your boss is absolutely right.
  11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

A typical golf equipment company reinvents 60% or more of it's product line every year and employs the same percentage of aerospace engineers in design as aviation. It's still golf.

When it comes to IT related fields, especially software, "new" isn't always inherently better right off the bat. That's because no matter how much testing is done, no lab testing mimics the live use of 300+million users. Give us all the same PC on TB and in a month you'd have as many variables as PC's.

With most things physical and philosophical I think that you always have to be looking towards improvement. By the time "it's" usually broke, "it's" usually obsolete or misguided. Some features of design don't get improved, but the materials and methods to achieve those designs can be improved. Kind of like a plek'd neck on an old pbass or a teacher than can grade multiple choice tests with a PC scan versus by hand. Same concept, newer and improved for accuracy method.
  12. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

i dig these answers!...:D

let me throw something else out for you.

"be not the last to cast the old aside, nor yet the first by whom the new is tried."

or is it...

"be not the first to cast the old aside, nor yet the last by whom the new is tried."

:confused:

[​IMG]
  13. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Case by case. This is something you can't really create a rule-of-thumb for.
  14. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    fix the broken stuff first ?
  15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

As others have said, it really depends. Sometimes something works, but that doesn't negate the potential that it can be better. Innovation sometimes means taking an already existing good idea and making it better. On the other hand, sometimes something's so good that it doesn't need improvements. Case in point, I still hate Facebook's Timeline format. :mad: :spit:

Very true. Case in point, Stephen Covey made a career out of pushing pseudo-scholarship on leadership to people who easily followed management trends and had lexicons of all of the latest buzzwords. His stuff's a joke to anyone who's actually studied leadership or worked in organizational development or I/O psychology.
  16. bassinplace

bassinplace

I guess if something can be genuinely improved upon, then yeah, by all means. If yer just gonna go at it with a monkey wrench because you think it could be better when it's already working perfectly fine I'd say back away, MacGyver.
  17. MatticusMania

But you can't always know if something can be genuinely improved upon until you try. Sometimes you have to think it can, and then find a way.
  18. MX21

MX21

I think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is good.

But there's a difference between "broke" and "enhancement".

It's good to continually try to improve things. But bad just to change something that isn't broken if it doesn't improve anything either.
  19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

And that just goes right back to what Yerf Dog wrote:

Can you imagine if they (someone, anyone) tried to fix golf? Not the equipment, I mean the actual game? How well do you think that would go over?

So yeah, ya picks yer battles. Saying that "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" is a bad policy is just as stupid as saying it's a good policy. No generalization works here.

It all depends what "it" is.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I work in a department where everyone has this philosophy, and it drives me nuts.

-Mike