1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

If McCartney's Hofner Ever Went To Auction $$$?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MoreBeer, Mar 20, 2014.

1. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

Although this would probably never happen, even if Sir Paul decided to raise a boatload of cash for charity, IF his Hofner went to auction, what do you think it would fetch? Its got to be the most valuable bass, guitar, whatever, period, on earth.....by far.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I googled famous guitar auctions and apparently one of Bob Dylan's went for a million. Seems about right for the Hofner. Maybe a bit more but I doubt it would be several million.

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Probably up in the Stradivarius price range.

NOT for build quality, but only because of the original owner and his legacy.

I'll offer $10,000,000.00.

A couple months ago, a Strad sold for $16,000,000.00.

4. booke23

booke23

I think one of the most expensive guitars sold is Jimi Hendrix's 1968 Strat....that made $2m in 1998.

I'd imagine Sir Paul's Hofner would be in this kind of bracket......but if you get two wealthy people at auction who both really want it......who knows what it could make!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Locky66

Locky66

I would guess 1.5 million

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

"Blackie" sold for $5,500.00 less than Dylan's AND 10 years earlier.

Consider also that McCartney STILL uses it - 50 years later. These other instruments were sold during the artists career. Must say something about the value placed on the instrument, by the original owners.

Personally, I wouldn't even know what Dylan's guitar looked like. Ask the man on the street.

8. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I think this auction would get billionaires involved bidding against one another and the price would just get crazy high. If Steve Jobs were alive (a huge Beatles guy) I couldn't imagine what he'd be willing to pay.

9. booke23

booke23

I agree. His Hofner is so iconic....as stick_player says he's been heavily associated with it for 50 years. I can't think of any famous guitars that have sold with that kind of history. The sky's the limit.

I'd be interested to know how much his Rick would make.....not quite as iconic but he's had it almost as long as the Hofner.

10. GM60466

GM60466

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

The rich are richer than ever.

13. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Saw History Detectives where a Lady brought in the Strat that Dylan played @ Monterey where he was booed for going electric. Pete Seeger was running around trying to find the plug to unplug it. Her dad was Dylan's pilot. Dylan had left it on the plane & never made an attempt to get it back even when they tried to contact him. One of the pieces of evidence that authenticated it were hand written lyrics in the case by Dylan. Saw Jamerson's Ampeg on another one - can't remember if it was authenticated or not. That Strat would sell big, the Ampeg maybe not so much.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Jamerson B-15 was never 100% authenticated, but I believe it was his. Not the one he used in Detroit, but the one he used in California. His son didn't think it was his because it had more knobs than the first-run B-15 he had in Detroit. But Dennis Coffey said that when he went to California, his amps had the exact same stencil as Jamerson's because they used the same cartage company. I think he probably picked it up once he got out there and used it for his sessions out there.

15. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Dang! I was gonna bid: $12,033,000. It's always that "extra" buck that snipes me.

:crying:

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Yeah, but how many famous bassists have played Rics? Lots of them. How many have played a Hofner? McCartney, that's it. Talk about iconic. I personally think it would be really silly to pay that kind of money for it, though. Even with it's historical significance, it's a pretty flimsy made guitar, imo. :atoz:

18. booke23

booke23

True, although he is by far the most famous of the Ric players.

I have never really cared much for the Hofner either.......I quite like their sound, but the lack of sustain would probably annoy me and I've never liked the whole violin styling thing. My local music store has one in stock and I had a chance to have a good look at it the other day, and it actually looks quite nice close up so they might be growing on me after all these years!

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Remember that most of the $1,000,000 guitars were bought by retailers and subsequently copied to sell hundreds of copies. They were bought so they could sell hundreds of $10,000 copies. Basses aren't as popular.

I would guess $1.5m tops.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sir Paul alive- 1.5million
    Sir Paul not alive - 2.5 to 3 million

21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Sometimes people start threads about "If you could only own one bass"

Well if I could only own one bass it would be Paul's Hofner ... Then I would sell it for as much as possible ...

His Hofner is probably one of the most collectable basses of all time.