1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

If not Roscoe, then....?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NeilGB, Nov 20, 2012.

1. NeilGB

NeilGB Supporting Member

Supposing someone was GASsing for a Roscoe, what other brands would you recommend they check out before committing to one?

2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

USA Spector
    USA Brubaker

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Not Spector IME as Roscoes have more "less-aggressive" tonal options IMO.

My MTD USA 535 is fairly close to a Roscoe, but the Roscoe is cheaper.

A Roscoe IMO is the best used bass deal out there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

For what a Roscoe will set you back, I'd take another look at Roscoe.

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    What is your goal? 4, 5, or 6 string? Does scale length matter? What types of music?

The Roscoe "Standard Plus" models are about the best bang for the buck out there imho. But depends on what you're looking for.

8. SteveC

SteveC

If I ever have a bass worth more than $700 again, it'll be a Roscoe. After trying almost every bass out there, some more than once,I can't think of one that I'd rather have. They are 35" scale, but it doesn't feel like a 35" scale. The B string is fantastic. The neck feels great, and I like how they look. The Standard series is an amazing value. They are made in the same shop, by the same guys. The necks are custom fit to each body, it's amazing. There is no better value out there - IMO.

9. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

What is it about Rosco that is drawing you to them?

I would consider USA MTD's a bit of a "brighter" Roscoe.

Pretty killer tone here:

10. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

One thing about GAS...

Your only relief is to acquire the gear causing it... You could defer GAS with something else, but it won't be long till you want a Roscoe again...

11. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

If you want a Roscoe, why look elsewhere? Tonally, they've got their own thing going on, not much is comparable there really.

12. KJung

KJung

Sadowsky Metro 'Modern 5'. Has that strong low mid presence of the Roscoe's, but has full 19mm spacing and, in general, a bit lighter weight.

13. SteveC

SteveC

A close 2nd to a Roscoe.

14. benthughes

benthughes

It may sound odd but a Peavey Cirrus. They're light weight, well balanced and easy to play. They have a very flexible hi-fi type of sound. It won't be as aggressive as a Spector or Sadowsky modern but can get nice and growly. The Roscoe is a bit fuller and can really cop a modern P-Bass type vibe while staying very articulate, hard to explain. It varies a bit depending on the woods used, same with the Cirrus.

Don't overlook the Cirrus, one of the basses I sorely regret selling is my Cirrus Tigereye 5; absolutely killer bass.

15. nostatic

Disclosures:
    wrt weight, the Metros seem to run around 9.5 lbs give or take half a pound. My Roscoes were between 9.5 and 8.5 so I'd say it is a wash. The NYCs are lighter, but also more money.

The OP didn't specify number of strings, but for a 5'er:

Sadowsky - 34" scale, 19mm spacing
    Roscoe - 35" scale, 18.3mm spacing

For price (assuming new), Sadowsky Metro is about the same as the Roscoe Std Plus (Roscoe is all built in NC). Sadowsky NYC is usually a bit more than Roscoe full custom depending on the details.

I find the Roscoe a hair more flexible tonally than the Sadowsky Modern 5 (mostly due to the 3-band preamp and slightly different pup position), but they both are decidedly not J-basses :D

16. ilustre

ilustre Supporting Member

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Disclaimer: I'm a Roscoe endorser, so take what I write with a grain of salt.

I'd say try everything. That's what I did - I've played it all, from the cheapest basses to some of the most expensive. And in all honesty, the only bass guitar I own now that *isn't* a Roscoe is a Rob Allen, which is a trick the guys at Roscoe don't do. At this point in my life/career, I could play anything I want. And I do.

18. Hot Pocket

Hot Pocket

Roscoe and MTD USA perhaps Elrick Platinum

19. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Quoted for truth.

Someone on a bike forum once gave me the advice that "the most expensive bike you'll ever buy is the one you get instead of the one you really wanted." It's true. There have been times I have bought the next-best thing, sold it six months or a year later and bought what I really wanted. I would have saved money by just getting what I wanted in the first place.

Now with all that said, there are other high quality instruments available, and some of them are good bit less expensive than Roscoes. I think the MTD KZ series are a great value; they play really well and can be had used for under $1000. Same goes for the Peavey Cirrus and the Lakland Skylines.

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm primarily a Roscoe guy.

I puchased a used Peavey Cirrus 5 when I was saving for another Roscoe. It was a nice substitute.

21. nostatic

Disclosures:
    To be fair to Roscoe, it is a trick that no one else really does. Rob's basses are a unique vibe that is very different than typical electric bass, yet familiar at the same time.