If the audience is over 45, using social media is a waste of time

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

From my blog: http://davebuergeronbass.blogspot.com/2014/02/if-audience-is-over-45-using-social.html

The #1 promotion strategy for most bands is social media. The oft-unasked question is: are the fans actually using social media? Depending on the musical niche, the answer may well be a resounding "No!" A new study by Global WebIndex provides two critical data points.

For example, if your audience is over 45, a relatively small slice of social media users (no more than about 25%, depending on the channel) will ever see your posts. That's because compared to the under 45-set, the "oldsters" don't even use social media.

[​IMG]

Of those who do use social media, half or less even use their accounts.

[​IMG]

That's not to say social media is worthless as a way to connect with fans. But the odds are whatever you write will not be seen by the people who matter most. Could be that time is better spent on practicing your instrument!

2. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

You're looking at the statistics wrong.

Just because more 25-34 years olds use Facebook than 45-54 year olds doesn't negate it's use for the second group. What's important is the percentage of your target market who are active on FB. And according to a study by the same group as you cite, "The fastest growing demographic on Facebook’s and Google+’s networks are the 45 to 54 year age bracket at 46% and 56% respectively."

3. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

And location, location, location. If you're in Lebanon, OH, for instance, chances are your use of social media will be less successful than in a tech-friendly location like Seattle, WA.

4. pipFunk

pipFunk

I'm well over 45, and I use social media,

I think though, that people in that age group are possibly less... Forgiving... If you are using social media then you really need to keep it up to date, relevant and interesting if you are to keep these people coming to your site and ultimately to your gigs.

Links that don't work, iPhone footage on which the sound is crap and no updates on your gigs page, or even updates on how things are going if you're taking a break to write new material all effect traffic.

If people are investing their time in you then you have to invest time in them. It's like when you release a song, let's say it was playing when I met my partner. Then that song belongs to me just as much as you, so you'd better play it with feeling for me when I come to your show, or I probably won't bother again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

I agree with this- in my past experience FB, has been a complete waste of time- maybe got 4 extra people at our gigs, from inviting 300!

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I think it works well for the money you spend on it!

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Ha, very true. Our FB posts don't generate much traffic at shows, but they got a lot of clicks through to our Amazon and iTunes links. Personal invites were our main attendance driver, but we're a small hobby band. There's probably a curve on these things for touring/regional bands who can't talk to people directly.

9. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

What's this Facebook thing you are talking about?

10. modulusman

modulusman

So what your saying is people over 45 don't spend all day looking at their cell phone.

11. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Yeah, I don't think our Facebook page accomplishes a whole lot as far as drawing people to the show. I do, however, think it's important to keep it fresh and up-to-date just in case a bar owner or booking agent is on there checking us out. At least it shows we are actively promoting our band and gigs, and that can't hurt. It really doesn't take much effort.

Our demographic is mainly between 35-54, ±5 years. I think what works best for me is simply emailing everyone I know with a personal invitation a couple weeks prior, then following up with a reminder a couple days before the gig. I've also been including a link for people to add the date to their Google calendar. Beyond that, I put up flyers at work and invite people face-to-face. I've had good turnouts at our last couple of gigs by doing this.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A good amount of my audience is over 45.

A good amount of them come to the show based on my use of facebook.

For us, facebook does draw people to shows.

13. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

X2

14. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

X3
    I think there are many factors, including location as others have mentioned. And there's an art to invites - some generate interest, many are plain annoying :)

15. SnowCal

SnowCal

Is the problem here that social media doesn't work well for the 45+ crowd or that all forms of low-cost promo struggle to reach that demographic? What do you find to be a good alternative to Facebook for that demographic.

16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I don't agree with the facebook data. Facebook is full of old farts looking up past friends, ex's etc.

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

The data suggests that the 45+ audience doesn't use social media as much as younger people. So the oldsters are less likely to see invites.

Teach us what you are personally doing on Facebook that makes it a good way to draw fans to your shows. I want to learn how to overcome the statistical hurdle.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a couple thousand facebook friends. I post a lot. I try to be witty, and positive. I don't post ANY drama. I latch onto popular posters, and comment on their postings, which have a much larger audience than mine. Always think in the HUNDREDS, not the TENS OF THOUSANDS when it comes to this. Don't be lost in a sea of comments.

If you're not one of the first, move on.

Get your name and face known. Post a LOT of pictures. Post interesting pictures. I have posted nude photos; photos of me in a dress; photos of my dogs; photos of my wife; lots and lots of videos; you name it.

I am outrageous, and when I post my band invites, I follow up on them a LOT. The biggest thing is DON'T OVERSATURATE.

If you are inviting people to two shows a week, they are going to put you on ignore/block your invites.

19. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

It's not a statistical hurdle. You're looking at it wrong.

If a survey found that of all of the people who bought Fender basses last year, 29% also bought a GK amp while 20% bought a MarkBass amp would you tell MarkBass not to bother marketing to people who bought a Fender?

What you're saying is that because the target demographic isn't the largest one on Facebook, it's a waste of time. That's an erroneous conclusion.

20. pedroims

pedroims

I am 40 and I have 250 contacts...guess what ..90% of my contacts are on their 40's and they post everyday, damn some of them post crap every hour... now, I am very positive that all of my contacts on their 40's also have a huge number of contacts on the same age group.

21. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

most of our age range in my old band was 40+ and most learned and found us on Facebook.