If you build it thay will come

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MrArose13, Oct 7, 2011.

1. MrArose13

MrArose13 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud basses & Guitars LLC
    Hello to all in T.B. land.

Forewarning, this is not a form of communication I do well (IMO) and my spelling sucks. My spelling is so bad some find it entertaining (this is all being done in a word program first, it's that bad.) but we can’t let the little thing stop us, so… Here we go. I have 4 bass builds and 2 baritone guitar builds to start right now, none of them have destinations, just need to be built. I have a lot going on and only get 1 full day to work, so this may take a while. in this thread I’ll be showing you and discussing my Rose Stem build. I’m sure some of the others will pop in an out seeing as they are being built simultaneously. As I near the end of the rose stem prototype, I’ve decided to start the next two. (one 4 string, one 5 string)

This is an old pic. of the prototype.
    R.S.Bassic 006.jpg

R.S.Bassic 009.jpg

I will show pic.s of the prototype finished, soon.
  2. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    I have all ready started. I took pic.s along the way so I could catch everybody up to speed. I have to say I’m excited, I will be able to use sapele from the same billet on the 4-string in the neck and body along with some maple and purpleheart. Neck through 34” scale, the basic stuff. Eadasto& Guitars 041.jpg
    After drawing on everything, I thought I’d glue up my accent veneers to make them more manageable.
    alder & elsa 013.jpg

Next to clean up the rest of the wood. I started planning and cutting, the plan is to have a center strip purpleheart ½” (I like the .5 in the middle so after routing the truss rod slot there is still around 1/8” on both sides), maple accent stripe 1/16”, purpleheart accent stripe 1/32”, sapele ¼”, maple1/4”, and end with… more sapele ¾” give or take. The lam.s are mirror image. Now this is where I’m at with this build. Any of the human Calculators have probably picked up on this already, it’s too wide, the nut width stops right at the maple. I feel this would leave a tapered cut look on the side of the neck, which might look cool (need to experiment) but just not the look I was going for. It’s supposed to be a simple 4 string, Ha Ha.
  3. MrArose13

Disclosures:
  4. MrArose13

Disclosures:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

7. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

8. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    So after considering many options, such as, the easiest option, make it a 5-string. Thin the ¼” lam.s to 1/8”, thin center strip, or just dropout the ¼” sapele. Still a little wide for a 5, really don’t want to thin the center strip. 2 options left. Well I would actually make new 1/8” lam.s and use these 1/4” in another neck, no real loss. (time or resource) lastly, also a simple fix, just leave out the 1/4” sapele. I’m leaning toward the later. I feel this is not only a quick fix (with no real loss) but it will keep the strength maple provides (with nice mids and highs) and make the 1/32” purpleheart veneer standout, almost bringing me back to a simple 4-string…almost, Ha. And a pic.
    Rose Stem 4.S 001 004.jpg Rose Stem 4.S 001 005.jpg

Nothing has been glued yet. Saturdays are my shop day so it waits till then. All comments, small bits of sarcasm, and random jokes about wood are welcome. If you’re passing out 2cents I’ll get the collection plate. Happy building, till next time.
  9. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    Man... you guys were quick. i hadn't even finished posting. thanks for the compliment
  10. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

wow. Cool shape. Prince will be calling you for that bass! Subbed.
  11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

NP

The prototype shape looks really cool. Is is a semi-hollowbody or is there really that much going on in the electronics?
  12. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    yah... I got a lot of that with my student guitar at roberto-venn. :rolleyes: (the prince thing)
    I can't seem to get the pic in two places you can see it in thumpin ps' roberto-venn thread

[​IMG]
    Just got the pic to work :D
  13. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    this one isn't, the control cavity isn't as big as it seems, (it's just empty) and it is also a universal shape for what evear I or some one else might want to put in it (I got a hole theory on passive electronics i won't bug you with, not yet at least, and it fits about 5 pots an a couple switches)
  14. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    It's done :hyper:... sort of, still need to set it up and hone the nut.
    R. Bassic done 001.jpg R.S. Bassic done 007.jpg
  15. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    Rember, this is just a prototype.
    more pic.s :bassist:
    R.S. Bassic done 004.jpg R.S. Bassic done 005.jpg
  16. ronaldo nicolas

ronaldo nicolas

excelente!!!!!!!!:bassist:
  17. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    I went with this option and got it glued up last night. I’ll probably be working from home this week, so I might get to work on this bass a little before Saturday. The next step will be, plane the neck level, (including the head stock) rout for truss rod, make another body template (to accommodate neck through) and I’m considering a laminated fret board.

Keeping you posted till next time.

P.S.
    I'm hoping it shows my pics from earlier in the thread. If not, I don't know how to show the pics again without up loading them again, which seems silly. :meh:
  18. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

I really dig the shape. Nice work.
  19. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    Thanks, it look good on paper. and now, it's fealing good too. the long uper horn gives it good balance.
  20. otis_thick

otis_thick

Very Cool!

:bag:
  21. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    Thanks. :)
    The neck through should be even cooler. (IMO of course) I'll give some specs later, I get to work in my shop today :D so I'm off to get to it.

Talk to u-ns soon.