1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

If you built a bass for a celebrity...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Say some famous bass player (pick one) wanted a new bass, they contacted you and told you to surprise them. Based on the gear they've used in the past and the tone they like, what would you build them??
  2. Matteo Marziali

Matteo Marziali

Les Claypool just called me for a new bass... i'm thinking to build him a six string, fretted, slightly fanned 32" to 30", probably tuned EADGCF, 24 frets for the low strings, 26/27 for the high, an EMG P at the neck and a 45DC at the bridge, no preamp. The only dubt is about the whammy... Walnut body core, padauk layers and ebony/ziricote top and back, padauk neck with ebony fingerboard. Body style a semi-singlecut, something quite weird.
  3. BeeTL

BeeTL Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Easy.

If he were alive, I'd build one of these for John Entwistle (or Pino when he plays with the Who):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman

Geddy Lee called, so I built him a Rickenbacker doubleneck that weighs 45 lbs.

Boy is he pissed.
  5. Splods

Splods

If Adam Clayton called, I'd make him a good looking cardboard cutout.
  6. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Supporting Member

Some old guy (he kept wanting me to call him "Sir") with jet-black shoe polish in his hair wanted a yellow MM Sub. This was the best I could do.

[​IMG]
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I would make this.
  8. DannyBob

DannyBob

One of these for Pete Wentz to match the rest of the s**t he plays...

Attached Files:

9. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

If Wolfgang Van Halen gave me 5 grand to find a surprise bass for the new Van Halen album, I'd go get him an Alembic Epic.
  10. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Flea called. Needs a bass for the next Super Bowl halftime. I sent him a Modulus Clone but I just realized I forgot to connect the input jack. Shouldn't matter…

:D
  11. Geri O

Geri O

That was pretty good! :D
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If some decrepit fossil, a whiny farm boy and a bossy, holographic princess called me to find the location of the hidden Rebel Bass…

Rebel Bass.jpeg
  13. P Town

P Town Guest

Willie Dixon called, and I said: "Willie, you've been dead since 1992. You don't need a bass. Didn't you switch to harp then?" He said: "No man. They didn't give me no harp, and I need that bass to be fireproof, OK?"
  14. DaanW

DaanW

Something like that actually happened to me last June:
    Built this
    [​IMG]

For:
    [​IMG]
  15. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I would build Geddy Lee something shaped like a jazz bass but made of flame maple, stain the body black, a snakewood fingerboard (for extreme brightness), Tele bass humbuckers (one in the Pbass sweet spot, the other right against the bridge saddles), and 500k Ric-style volume and tone controls.
  16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would probably use my "The Bastard" body shape, with whatever pickup/electronic package fit with their style of music. For instance Mike Dirnt would get a single P pickup. Flea would get humbucker in the MM position with a preamp. Marcus Miller would get a set of J pickups with a preamp.

This is the shape, they only come in hot rod finishes. So only solid colors or sparkle, and only black pick guards. Except possibly a tort guard on a white body.
    [​IMG]
  17. CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Now that's funny. I can just picture his expression as you hand it over to him. :D
  18. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

For Jaco: I would blow up a 1962 Jazz bass then rebuild it out of the pieces
    For Steve Harris: A photo of his P bass :p
  19. BeeTL

BeeTL Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    I LOVE that!!!
  20. zontar

zontar

This is why we need a Like button.
    (It was a picture of a Cap'n Crunch bass.)