1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

If You Could Only Have Two Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Apr 27, 2012.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

More than likely, threads like these have been beat to death, but...!

If you could only have two basses and the total cost of both of them was less than $1,000, which would you pick?
    (Go no further than the above line if you don't care about some kid's incessant rambling at 2 am. It's really quite dull.)

Yes, a limit of one grand. This thread is just out of my sheer curiosity.
    I have two basses, totaling a value of roughly $800 (give or take). One I'm pretty happy with, one...not as much.

Why two though? Why not put all the money in one bass?
    Well in my situation, one of my basses is a passive four string jazz, the other an active five string. And I enjoy some variety.
    It's like only having one girlfriend. But in that case I guess you could do with more then two as well eh?
    (I wouldn't know about that...)
    *Ahem* ANYWAYS...

Why not more than two? Well when you divide $800 (or even $1,000) three (+) ways, you're going to end up with some interesting instruments
    and I can't justify putting more than about $1,000 into basses (at the age of 18 anyways).
    It's like having a ton of girlfriends. They're all cheap.
    (I definitely wouldn't know about that.)
    Moving on,
    I know there might be some [DEL]gear snobs[/DEL] sirs who may feel the need to chime in with their opinions on "cheap" basses (or girlfriends),
    but I would love it if you cared enough just to post which two and why.

For me, I think (I emphasize "think" because I haven't played every bass I would like to, but from what I do know)
    I would pick an older MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 and an older MIM P bass. But I don't know if I could swing that combo for < $1,000. Maybe if I got lucky...

So, long original post for no real reason I guess, other than I don't want to do my homework. But by all means...have at the question if you care to!

2. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

And I suppose if you would rather have one $1,000 bass than two basses worth $1,000, feel free to share which one it would be.

...In complete disregard to my original question.
    :D

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

You're on the right track...Precision and Jazz for me.

And if we can bump the limit, throw in a used Ric.

4. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Used Ibanez/Yamaha and a Used G&LTribute(or US Made, sometimes the price is right), you pick which one you want in a 4 or a 5, amazing bang for the buck on all of them. I would buy the ATK 305 on the classifieds for $400 and then get a really sweet 4 like a JB-2, SB-2, L-2000, L-1500 etc. whatever you're into.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I do appreciate your sentiment, but I want to know what you would choose. :D

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Jackson JS3 and BC Rich Paulo warlock spalt maple top bolt on neck version. Though would prefer bevel top black finish with black hardware version of the latter. Lol.

8. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Well, I own a 305 and it is an excellent 5 string. And I own an SB-2 tribute which is a P/J with a jazz neck with a d-tuner. They are both very different basses but very well matched. So I have a 5 with a single pickup with 3-band preamp with voicing switch, and a 4 string passive with sweet US MFD P/J pickups with just volume/volume, both are very classic yet very contemporary at the same time. And doing the math with trades and what not, I have both with cases for sub $600. But it would easily be worth $1k, The 305 for $400 on here leaves you to get a new SB-2 if you wanted.

9. irishpride28

irishpride28

Peavey Cirrus 5's pop up in the classifieds for $750 every once in awhile, then take the other $250 and set up an SX Pbass with flats and some hardware upgrades.

10. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Definitely not standard choices, but very cool nonetheless.
    Had to check them out for myself.
    For anyone else interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one kind of reminds me of a Spector. Minus the headstock of course!

11. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    For reference, they make an excellent pair(and backdrop to promote shows lol)

[​IMG]

12. Turxile

Turxile

One Fretless and One Fretted for me.
    For the fretted I'll keep my current Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass, and for the fretless, well, a jazz will do :)

13. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    A fretted 5 and a fretless 4 for me. That´s all I´d need

14. nickn

nickn

This used to be my Dynamic Duo... before I seriously injured my hand and had to quit bass playing for a couple of years... :bawl: Wish I'd just stuck em in the closet instead of selling them :scowl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'07 FSR J-bass and '07 FSR P-bass. They're MIMs but with an ash body and tort pickguard. Per the thread criteria, they cost right about $1000 for the two of em.

15. tk421

tk421

a pair of fretted 4 strings.

my 93 foundation (before defretting) and my old fender performer.

total: $655. peavey was $300 new, performer was $300 used, and 2 sets of straplocks, and a $25 strap.
    if only i could fire up the wayback machine and kick the stupidity out of me before i sold the fender ...

16. neurotictim

neurotictim

I've got a Corvette $$ 5 and a Squire Precision, used value probably somewhere in the $1000 range. They pretty much cover everything I need in a bass, though I would probably go with a decent VM Jazz fretless if I could only have two...

17. carlos840

carlos840

I would get a P and a J, any model you can get your hand on, preferably used so you get more for your money.

There are lots of other basses, and i own many different ones, (TBIrd, Rick, Gretsch) but i always go back to using either a P or a J, they just work!

18. Duckwater

Duckwater

Line 6 Variax, P with flats

19. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I would go for a passive P and and active J. 4 years I would consider 5 strings on the J but currently I would not need it.

20. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

This man is a genius. I'm rolling a G&L L-2500 and an Ibanez SR-755.

21. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Depending on music played, a used Fender Highway One P and then either a used Fender Roadworn Jazz, or an SBMM Ray34CA. With just a little effort, you can pick any two in the used market and stay within budget.

If you really want to pull a fast one, Grab a Highway One P and a Highway One Jazz before they start quietly disappearing. Sell both the BAII bridges then use that money to fund after market pick ups of your choice !