1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

If you ever get a mallet finger!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by timobee4, Feb 24, 2012.

1. timobee4

timobee4

A mallet finger, also baseball finger, dropped finger and (more generally) extensor tendon injury, is an injury of the extensor digitorum tendon of the fingers at the distal interphalangeal joint.

4 years ago I injured my finger playing cricket and when I went to the Yes I did go to ER. They told me that it will never be straight again, gave me a splint and told me to have it on for 4 weeks. I was completely beside myself from the thought of never be able to play upright so instead of 4 weeks I have kept it on for little over 8 weeks! It was hard to clean and I don't want to go into the smelly bits but I can tell you that it was the best decision I have ever made to keep it on for as long as I did. Once the splint was off it took another 4 weeks of physio and my finger was moving freely again and another 4 weeks it regained its strength and 4 years later (knock on wood) all is good and it is as straight as the uninjured fingers. My doctor can not believe how my own stubborn regime saved my finger and told me that he'll recommend 8 weeks instead of 4 from now on! So if it happens to you remember don't even think about taking the splint of for 8 long stinking nightmare weeks!