If you had 16 hours of practice time without bass in hand, what would you do?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xdanxx, Jan 17, 2013.

1. xdanxx

xdanxx

I work 16 hours a week as a security guard where I can pretty much read/study during my shift. Id like to utilize it to practice bass, but obviously can't have a bass in hand.

What types of things should I memorize on paper such as the circle of fifths, etc.

2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

can you have a radio/mp3 player?

3. TotteryManx

TotteryManx

Personally, I would take a notebook and start writing out things. For example; Drawing a staff and writing out certain scales, arpeggios, and such. Or taking sheet music with you and keeping a tempo in your head or with foot while humming the music and thinking the notes in your head. Not to mention just reading about the instrument in general.

4. xdanxx

xdanxx

Yes, I can listen to music too. I also might be able to swing just have a neck maybe to simulate running scales. Might try to find a super cheap neck somewhere

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Solfege (sight singing) would be very productive use of that time. You would get a decent ear training and learn to read music at the same time. Any sort of finger calistenic might help too.

7. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

I learned to recite the circle of 5ths and 4ths while driving my truck. Then I worked on saying each note on a string and the 4th and 5th's adjacent to it. Work up each string in turn. Say the note, and say the 4th and 5th adjacent. You could make it interesting selecting a number at random and then reciting all the notes at that fret as quickly as possible.

You will be amazed at how much better your fretboard knowledge will get just by doing this in your mind.

You could also try to pick a key, then recite every note from each chord in that key. For instance in the Key of G ... GMaj7 G-B-D-F#, Am7 A-C-E-G, Bm7 B-D-F#-A, CMaj7 C-E-G-B, D7 D-F#-A-C, Em7 E-G-B-D

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

On my long drive to and from work, I sometimes recite all major 7th, dominant 7th and minor 7th chord inversions, ascending and descending, around the cycle of 4ths. My mind usually turns to mush part way through, but it's getting easier.

9. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser Supporting Member

Personally, I try do vocal work.
    I'm trying to be able to help the back-up vocals more.

...instead of killing 'em....

[​IMG]

10. xdanxx

xdanxx

Thanks for the ideas, anymore?

11. CraigTB

CraigTB Supporting Member

I've recorded a click to CD and used my commute time to work on rhythm exercises. Different stuff like tapping out 16th note rhythms, playing ahead/behind the beat, keeping subdivisions going with a real slow click, Muting the click and holding the time, etc... etc...

12. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

have an ipad? with garage band you could actually play the scales out on the virtual bass :)

13. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

I don't want to be the guy raining on the parade, but if your a security guard, people are depending on you to protect them. That's what you should do.

I say this because I was a C.O. in a state prison, and during my time there I rescued a case worker who got locked in a cell with an inmate because the cell door operating officer wasn't paying attention.

The caseworker had to have major facial reconstruction surgery and could have died.

Your situation might not be as serious, but if it is, just do the job man. Somebody is depending on you.

No hate, just speaking truth from something that affected me a great deal.

14. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

15. cloverkeys

cloverkeys

Without security guards I'd be dead hundreds of times..

16. ics1974

ics1974

17. xdanxx

xdanxx

Its not as bad as I made it sound, my job doesn't actually involve protecting anyone. Just checking people in and out. Infact we are allowed to read books in our idle time. I also work on off days where I sometimes dont see anyone.

Thanks for all the suggestions, anymore?

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Agreed 100%.
    With the band, I KNOW a song if:

1) I can play it with nothing else on(solo)
    2) I can listen to it on my mp3 player and SEE THE FRETBOARD fingering correctly.

#2 is my "mental exercise" because I drive 4 hours roundtrip to gigs with my mp3 player and our songlist of over 300+ songs playing. Visualization(I call it) does work for me.

Also agree with the "charting on paper". That worked for me in college(electrical engineering) b/c I could "see" the pages of notes in my mind during tests. It now works when I've actually charted a song out.

19. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

OK if that's the case. Then one thing I used to do was take a rubber band and stretch between my thumb and fingers. It makes your fingers stronger, and can help you get your pinky involved easier.

I wouldn't do it for all that time, but I would make it part of the regiment.