1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

If you had to get rid of one...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by electroghost, Dec 28, 2013.

1. electroghost

electroghost

I need to sell one of my basses to pay off some debt and I just can't decide which one to let go. I thought this would be a good place for advice, so here goes.

I have:

1. 2011 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass (Natural)
    2. 2011 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass (Natural)
    3. 1996 Fender American Standard Precision Bass (Black w/ Badass Bridge)
    4. 2013 Gibson Thunderbird IV (Vintage Sunburst)
    5. 2013 Gibson Midtown Standard Bass (Ebony)
    6. 2010 Rickenbacker 4004L Laredo (Maple Glow)

Things to consider:

I don't play live. I'm a former semi-pro, now strictly a home studio hobbyist. I do experimental dub and drone and go with either a heavy low-end dub tone or a distorted tone. I can probably cross the '96 P-bass off the list, as it's the only instrument I have left from my semi-pro days and it's a real player. I was leaning towards selling the Gibsons because I got great buys on them with Gibson's Year End Closeout Sale and should be able to easily break even on either one. Unfortunately, the Gibson 2014 prices have skyrocketed so replacing them in the future is probably out of the question. The Ric 4004L is also difficult to replace, though I rarely play it. It's a tough call - I love both the Fender American Deluxes because of their versatility and playability. Truth be told, I could easily get by with just both of them and the '96 P-Bass, but I've sold so many basses in the past that I regret, I don't want to make a wrong decision. Any advice from fellow bassists is appreciated.

2. zhollywood

zhollywood

You're only "semi" doubled up on P basses.
    Maybe one of the P's?
    You've got all of your bases (basses?) covered.

3. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

About the best answer I could come up with to. Tough call though. I would get another bass and get rid of that one. :)

4. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

4,5,or 6. Considering the type of music u are into...I would sell the Ric.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I agree with this. Your current music focus really doesn't call for a Ric. And you can probably get relatively good money out of it so I'd consider selling it first.
    My second choice for sale would be the Midtown. You mentioned you could get good money for that as well and since you already have a thunderbird you really don't need the midtown.
    Now if it were me, I'd sell both the midtown and the Ric and buy a nice passive Jazz to go with that nice passive Precision. Then you'd be set on both the active and passive fronts.

7. MyMusic

MyMusic

I would sell the most valuable and least versatile.

8. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

In other words the Ric ;)

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I love rics but it doesnt seem like its the best bass for you at all, so as others said the ric gets the axe. If thats enough to pay the debt keep the rest because you can always sell those gibby's for what you have in them so long as they are cared for and then if you need to sell another bass start with one of those.

10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

The Rick or the Midtown are worth the most...

But I'd sell all the Fenders and the T-bird since the Rick and Midtown can cover what you need.

[dons flame suit]

11. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Another vote for the Ric, not a big fan of them anyway & the other basses work better for what you play.

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not a fan of Rics or Thunderbirds, so if it were me I'd let one of those go.

But really, this is a decision you have to make for yourself, no-one else knows what you need and want.

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

me, id let the tbird go, but as far as functionality, id say you should let the p that sounds worst go

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If those were MY choices, #2 would go. But I've gotta say, that's a nice set as it stands.

15. dropbass

dropbass

I'd go sell plasma.... maybe the fenders they are the easy ones ro find again or get similar models

16. Doley50

Doley50

My advise is keep to them all ! I have had financial troubles in the past , sold equipment and regretted it every time. You have already been through that yourself . I'm not in your shoes, but there has to be another way, maybe pawn one, that way you can still keep it after you pay the loan off.
    Sorry for being preachy, I would hate to see you regret selling one of your basses down the road. Good luck.

17. pfox14

pfox14

I agree with some other posts - The Rick or the Midtown. Sounds like you don't play them anyway and would be able to sell them for the most $$

18. WalterBush

WalterBush

I'd lose the Gibsons.

But then, I'm biased against Gibson basses, love Fenders, and desperately want a Ric.

Really though, the two brands I hear come up time and time again when people express regret for selling an instrument are Rickenbacker and Steinberger.

19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    My thoughts would be #5, then #4 and then #1......just in the order of what you had talked about. Good luck with the sales (and withdrawal)

20. spufman

spufman

Cycle through them all in a single sitting, running through any pedals you may use. Have a beer or two and keep going. Then repeat the process a few times over a week or two. One may make you say meh. That's the one.