1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

If you like the sound of your amp but want more power do you...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by prater, Jan 6, 2014.

1. prater

prater Supporting Member

Upgrade the amp to a higher power version of the same amp

or

Run it through a power amp.

I run a GK 400 RB IV and can anticipate the day when I'll want more power. I always just figured I'd through a power amp in the rack but now thinking about the GK growl which comes more from the power amp circuit than the preamp circuit I'm reconsidering.

This is of course entirely hypothetical, as of now I'm completely satisfied with my rig.
  2. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

You could run a speaker level DI (from the amp speaker jack, through the DI, then to the cab) then into a power amp.
  3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

I felt the same way when I was playing outside for the city and fairs, I just picked up the 800RB and really came through for me.

Also, using the 400RB on a 112, then going to a 412 cab made the difference in volume!
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mic it and put it in the PA, probably turn down quite a bit too.

Or add another cab and turn up.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The OP does not mention spkr cabs, which are key to getting volume. More power through the same small cab will not get more volume, where a bigger/better cab with the same amp will.
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

What cab(s) are you using? Adding another cab is generally more efficient at getting more headroom (power) than getting an amp with more watts.
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

This !
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

This is spot on. One might think that going from 400w to 800w would double your volume but that's not how it works. Add more speaker area and you'll see the difference. Just adding another cab to make a 4 ohm system increases the amps output by 64% ... not to mention the increased speaker area.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Looking at the OP's profile he is already running a 4 ohm load. Since you have custom cabs, build identical cabs and slave a second 400RB IV from your first unit. Or use different cabs that will use the existing power more efficiently.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+101 Rick isn't as thick as I look!! :D
  11. BassmanPaul

Thanks Jon, you saved me a bunch of typing! :)
  12. BassmanPaul

The problem with cobbling a system together to use every last watt of amplifier power is that when, and if, you need more there is nowhere for you to go.,