1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

If you never had to touch your cab.....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wengr, Mar 7, 2014.

1. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Would you still play neo?

If a crew dealt with your cab and weight was not an issue, would you still use your neo cab?

Do you consider your neo cab the best choice, or the best easy schlep choice?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Both.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

There is no compromise with a Neo loaded speaker. Weight of the magnet has nothing to do with the sound, the magnet is stationary. What the Neo magnets actually let the speakers designers do, is use smaller magnets. That frees up design space, and lets them do things that would not have been possible with ceramic magnets.

If I never had to move my own cabinets the only thing that would change is that I would be using two fEARful 1515/66/1 cabs.

4. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

My Markbass cabs are my favorite cabs that I've ever played, neo or not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

probably not.
    I don't use a neo cab because Jorg told me not to.

7. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. After alot of try and buy with light weight heads, I'd have to say that my answer to the same question, concerning heads would be no.
    Just wondering if my feeling about neo cabs would turn out the same.

8. dangerouscello

dangerouscello I wore a suit under this Supporting Member

My impression from my limited experience is that there are great and terrible neo and non-neo cabs. I have played through neo cabs I've loved (including my current one) and ceramics I've hated, and vice versa. It's all about quality, design and awesome sound. Neo is not even close to the most important factor.

9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I traded in my Eden 410 XLT for a Bergantino AE 410 because of weight considerations. Turns out I like the sound of the Bergantino better (and I loved the sound of my Eden).

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If I was big enough to have a crew I probably wouldn't use any cab. I would have a good IEM setup and call it a day.

11. Cirk

Cirk

If I never had to move my cab, I'd have a Danley Labs Matterhorn. Don't think it's neo though.

12. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

If I never had to touch it I'd definitely use the Ampeg 8x10 rig. Standing in front of that rig
    on a good stage is bass bliss.

13. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I use light weight gear, but the only reason I switched was for sound. I would never have switched just for weight. Just my personal opinion.

14. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

I tried that actually and it was uncomfortable. We are all on ears, however some are often one in and one out. I could possibly get used to it, but it is an odd feeling to have no cab.

15. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

If I never had to haul it, I'd build a "wall of sound" piece by piece just to feel the air move. Don't care what magnets are on 'em.

As that's very far from the real world, i'm glad i have neos.

16. KablesP

KablesP

17. Gremson

Gremson

Damn. Who is that? ^^

I haven't a ton of experience with different cabs, but my NEO Avatar 115 is the best sounding cab I've owned. I don't see it as a compromise.

18. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

A ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394224174.372642.jpg at least this...and I play jazz

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Had a neo cab...don't have it anymore. If I didn't have to touch it, I'd use an 810e on every gig, maybe two.

20. somegeezer

somegeezer

Assuming I didn't have to carry them -and the new cabs were paid for by someone else-... I'd probably just use more cabs/speaker. But still neo. I think all the cabs I'd enjoy playing use neo, just out of coincidence.

21. DannyBob

DannyBob

Hahahaha! +1, this had me in stitches! :D