If you put a 4ohm speaker in an 8 ohm cab????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 7, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe and Mike Lull Basses Rock! Gold Supporting Member

does that automatically make it a 4ohm cab>

I am looking at a Ampeg BSE115T. This has an Eminence Kappa 15C 4OHM 450 watt watt driver installed in it and I do not know if anything else was done or needed to be done. Does a single 15 cab have a cross over? Needing to be educated..... thanks.....

2. Tuned

Tuned

If it has a horn it has a crossover, so the different impedance will move the cut-off frequency of the woofer a bit, but not the tweeter, so it probably won't have a dramatic effect on tone. It may not even have a cut-off circuit for the woofer, not really necessary and it's rather costly.

The Kappa Pro is probably a more efficient driver than the original so you'll want to turn the tweeter up assuming you use it at all, but beware that it is *a PA driver, not a bass driver*. It does not have a high excursion capability, only 3.2mm compared to the Kappa Pro 15LF's 6.7mm. I would not push your cab with more than 250W. It's 3dB more efficient than the 15LF, so it will perform like a 375W cab, just takes less amp to get there.

If it's more than $200 don't buy it, you'll have trouble selling it if you don't like it.

3. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe and Mike Lull Basses Rock! Gold Supporting Member

Wow...what a fantastic answer. Thank you so much for that very informative post. I am getting it as a partial trade and it will either just be come a rehearsal hall cab or given to my son. But thanks so very much. That is the kind of response that makes Talkbass so very valuable!