1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

If you put a 4ohm speaker in an 8 ohm cab????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 7, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

does that automatically make it a 4ohm cab>

I am looking at a Ampeg BSE115T. This has an Eminence Kappa 15C 4OHM 450 watt watt driver installed in it and I do not know if anything else was done or needed to be done. Does a single 15 cab have a cross over? Needing to be educated..... thanks.....
  2. Tuned

Tuned

If it has a horn it has a crossover, so the different impedance will move the cut-off frequency of the woofer a bit, but not the tweeter, so it probably won't have a dramatic effect on tone. It may not even have a cut-off circuit for the woofer, not really necessary and it's rather costly.

The Kappa Pro is probably a more efficient driver than the original so you'll want to turn the tweeter up assuming you use it at all, but beware that it is *a PA driver, not a bass driver*. It does not have a high excursion capability, only 3.2mm compared to the Kappa Pro 15LF's 6.7mm. I would not push your cab with more than 250W. It's 3dB more efficient than the 15LF, so it will perform like a 375W cab, just takes less amp to get there.

If it's more than $200 don't buy it, you'll have trouble selling it if you don't like it.
  3. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

Wow...what a fantastic answer. Thank you so much for that very informative post. I am getting it as a partial trade and it will either just be come a rehearsal hall cab or given to my son. But thanks so very much. That is the kind of response that makes Talkbass so very valuable!