1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

if you use both wireless for your bass and a pedalboard -

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jake3, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jake3

jake3 Guest

what is the circuit route and where does each piece of the wireless setup go? Do you still have a wire from the pedalboard to the amp?

Sorry if this question has been asked before ...

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I use a Line 6 G50. It sits on my pedal board, first in line 6, then yuner, then VT bass, then into the amp, Heres an old picture.

Attached Files:

3. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mine is very similar to Adam above, just different pedals.

4. jake3

jake3 Guest

Thanks. So just to be sure I understand - you are wireless from the bass to the pedalboard, and then you run a wire from the VT Bass to the amp?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ericg3

ericg3

line 6 G30 sits on my pedal board. Wireless from bass to G30. Wire runs from G30 to pedal then wired to the amp. I don't see any other way to do it.

7. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes.

For me, if I had my bass wired to the pedalboard it would defeat the purpose of having wireless. YMMV

8. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

G90 in my amp rack, line from that out to the pedal board "guitar in", through the pedals, second line back to the input of my RPM preamp.

9. CAW

CAW

As several folks have mentioned, there are wireless receivers in pedal format can go right on your pedal board available from several vendors (Line 6, Shure, etc). From the pedal board, you generally run a cable to your amp. The output from your pedal board will be low impedance, so can generally be run fair distances without significant loss of tone and/or noise. If you need really long distances, then you can look into devices like the Radial SGI to convert the signal to balanced over XLR instead of unbalanced 1/4".

If you have a rack in addition to your pedal board, and prefer to use a rack-mount wireless receiver, then something like the Radial SGI44 (either a pair of them, or more expensive but does a lot of other good stuff, a JX-44 on the rack side) to do send and return from the rack to your pedal board over a pair of XLRs.

Technically speaking, you can put a wireless bodypack transmitter at the output of your pedal board and have that beam you back to your amp. However, that requires a second wireless system (assuming you still want wireless from your bass to the pedal board) which is additional cost as well as consumes spectrum for a second wireless channel. And available spectrum is increasingly diminishing, so running wireless from the pedal board to the amp is a bit wasteful. Plus, there's really no harm in running a cable from the pedal board to the amp. Since your pedal board isn't going to follow you around on stage, there's little reason to do wireless here. Whereas wireless provides huge freedom to move around when used to connect your bass to your rack/pedal board.

10. jake3

jake3 Guest

Understood, thanks.

11. jake3

jake3 Guest

that's helpful, thanks.

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing

Correct, Thats why the G30 and G50 are nice. Fots right on the board. No reason to run 2 cables.

13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I use a x2 pedal size wireless now that I'm using effects on the floor. So its wireless into effects and only one cable to my rig. If your using rack mount effects use a rack mount wireless. But using a rack mount wireless with floor effects and sending multiple cables to and from the rig is a pain

14. the explode man

the explode man

I actually spent some time researching this myself. I have a G90 that is in a rack, so I was thinking "Man, I've got a cable run from my amp to my pedalboard of 10-15', then I have a cable run from my pedalboard back to my amp of 10-15', should I be doing this run over a balanced connection?". I arrived at the SGI44/other radial reampers, but I'm thinking I might as well just buy a Line 6 G50, mount it on my pedalboard and eliminate one of the cable runs.

Anyone else run into this or have a different solution/set of products to make it happen?

15. the explode man

the explode man

Or for that matter, doing some DIY and mounting my G90 to my pedalboard...

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

G30 first in the chain, MB compressore last and cabled to the input of my amp.

17. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

My pedalboard with a Sony wireless.
    The single cable is a multicore to my rack, carrying send and return, tuner, and direct signals.

Attached Files:

18. the explode man

the explode man

Nice board man! Where did you get the multi-core from?

19. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Audiospares.co.uk

I lived in the UK and will return to Britain shortly. Studiospares.co.UK also have it and in the US you can find them on eBay cut to various lengths - I imagine the PA shops or suppliers will have them. My main loom is 6 m Long and I have a spare that I carry which allows me to effectively double it to 12 metres.

6 m = roughly 19.5 feet

Self made the patchbay box, which is vital I suppose in case an effect dies, the wireless goes nuts or whatever, I can patch a cable and bypass it all. The multicore loom plugs into the patchbay box on the pb.

20. CAW

CAW

At that short of a distance, I wouldn't worry about it. Both runs are buffered low impedance, so runs of 20-30 feet you shouldn't hear any change, even in the high end. Using an SGI44 or other balanced converter system is for seriously long runs.

21. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I have an xds plus wireless on my board. Everything on my board is 9v, and I've made up a power loom that supplies every pedal and there is just one connector to plug a one spot into. I have a standard guitar lead and a 2.1mm dc extension cable taped together and run that out to my board. The one spot plugs into a power board in the back of rack that holds my qsc power amp. Pedal board where my mic stand is, one loom to run to my rig. Sometimes it's a power amp, sometimes a powered wedge, sometimes an iem rack.