1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

If you walk into a store

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you walk into a store and you're carrying a back pack( I meant to write book bag) or any other carrying bag of sorts and a store employee asks you to check your bag,

What message are they sending you?
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That people unfortunately shoplift and they need to protect themselves. What message does it give you?
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Agreed.
  4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

people shoplift, carry guns and bombs with the intent to harm others, people carry rabid weasels with the intent to cause hilarity.

not everyone is out to get you. just that guy over there.
  5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That they assume that I'm coming in there to steal.

And when they ask me to check my bag I tell them that I did not come in there to steal.

I have spoken with store managers and they have always said it's to deter shoplifting. I understand that but don't ask me to put my bag behind a counter. It still comes down to you assuming that I am coming in to steal.

One does not need a bag to carry a weapon or bomb into a store to do harm.

You want my money but you don't trust me enough to come in your store.

They should say nothing to me or just a simple hello.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

I've seen many stores that won't even let you in with a backpack. I wouldn't take it personal unless they let some other guy come in with one unfettered. In that case I think the implications are obvious.
  7. LarryO

LarryO

I would interpret that as a question not a message.
  8. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

I think you need some skin thickener. It's really not that big of a deal. Were I to put a list together of the offensive things I see or encounter on a daily basis, being asked to check my bag in a shop is purt near the bottom. Furthermore, what makes you special that you should be treated different from any other random person that walks into that shop?
  9. nickbass79

nickbass79

Yep! They search my wife and my Mom too. No big deal, I agree with security measures and don't really think twice about them. I do the same thing when friends come to my house.:D:p:bag:;):ninja:
  10. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

"Please check your bag. Unfortunately, theft has been a problem in our industry and we have to take some moderate measures in the way of loss prevention."

"No, we cannot just trust you. Why should we? :) "
  11. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

It's never happened to me but I avoid shopping if at all possible and don't carry a bag.

Do they make women check their handbags? I wouldn't think that would go over well.
  12. Gab124

Gab124 Supporting Member

Shop lifting is very common and done by lots of people that don't look like they would do it. It raises the prices of merchandise for all of us - I say do what they can to stop it. If you are offended then just relax and realize it is not about you, it is about keeping a business alive and profitable.
  13. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Because my momma loves me.
  14. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Yeah it sends a message to me that "I can't really be trusted" and TBH, I don't like that very much. I'm coming into a store to shop, not shoplift. I understand that I should not take it personally as they simply feel that they are protecting themselves but it's kind of like a "guilty until proven innocent" stance. If the store doesn't trust me enough to allow me to tote my own property, then it's a bit insulting actually.
    That said, in actuality it's not a big enough deal in my life to argue over or change any of my habits though. If I'm asked to check my bag, it's annoying but if I truly need something from that particular store for whatever reason, I'll do so. I may chose a different store the next time.
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Lots of stores have similar policies. Ive been asked to leave my bag behind a counter before, and Im white!

If its really a problem, I'll refuse and tell them I have some valuable items in my bag and that I dont trust their employees not to steal them.
  16. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Never seems to happen in grocery stores, target or any of the other stores I frequent.

Seems like it happens more so in mom-and-pop operations; convenience stores, beauty supplies and the like. IME
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I agree. I also think that refusing to do so is only causing a lot of problems for some poor dude who's only making minimum wage and now has to make a choice of putting his job at risk, or getting into a fight. Both of which actually put his job at risk.

I don't take it personally. If its the store policy and someone doesnt like it I think they should just shop elsewhere.
  18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

I can see checking a bag when I leave but I wouldn't want to leave it with anyone ... I assume they have a statement somewhere that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. And we all know everyone they hire has had background checks and are of the highest caliber....

It's funny ...they don't trust me ,and I don't trust them.

Some of the places places go to work ask for my drivers license to hold in place of a security badge ,and to go even further some have asked for SSN's...

I give them one of my expired photo badges from a safety course I take every year and I usually make up a SSN ...

talk about an identity theifs dream job!!!
  19. LarryO

LarryO

Im suprised it took around 15 posts for race to be mentioned
  20. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Guitar Center usually does this. I carry my netbook in a small bag (murse?), so whenever I go, I wait to enter the store until they let a lady with a purse walk by and then I go in. If they stop me I can claim sexual discrimination, threaten to sue, then settle out of court for a bass rig. :) Hasn't happen yet. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.