IF YOU WERE ME .....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gus1894, Jan 16, 2013.

?

Which effect would you add to the mix?

1. Subdecay Baby Quasar (Phaser) or other phaser.

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. 3Leaf Audio Proton (Envelope Filter) or other E.F.

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Other - and what effect would it be?

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. gus1894

gus1894 Supporting Member

I have myself a decision, so I turn to the Talkbass community for some opinion, influence and inspiration ...

Background:
    I play in an original band. Our sound is a mix of classic rock ('70s influence), hard rock and alt rock; with a dash of southern rock (IMO). The line-up: myself on bass, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist (does the occasional percussion and harp as well), and the drummer. Myself and the two guitarists share vocal duties.

My current effects line-up is:

• Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B (Which is on it's way to me)
    • TC Electronic Corona Chorus
    • Darkglass Microtubes B3K (USA version)
    • (and tuner of course, Korg Pitchblack)

I am using the effects in what could (modestly) be considered a "signature-style", as I want to have a defined playing style and set of tones/sounds. I use the B3K in electric/dirty tunes when the guitarist takes his solos. The Chorus, I use in clean/acoustic tunes/parts and on breakdowns when I want the bass to stand out w/o overdrive. The Phat Phuk, I plan on using for an extra kick on some specific parts, and possibly during solos in clean/acoustic songs.

I want to add one more pedal to the mix, something that can be fun, add some dimension. I am between two pedals:

1. Subdecay Baby Quasar (phaser)
    2. 3Leaf Audio Proton (Envelope Filter)

So, if you were me which would you go with? 1, 2 or something entirely different?

Please tell me the "something different", also I'd be curious what alternate phaser or envelope filter you would go with.

Why's are also very welcome.

Thanks all for your input, it is appreciated.
  2. Swift713

Swift713

I'd get a filter, and I happen to know someone who has a Proton they're ready to let go of ; )
  3. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I like envelope filters, so that's what I'd go for. :D
  4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I wouldn't go for an envelope filter in that style. Maybe look at a crazier fuzz or an octave. If you are looking to go for a filter, maybe aim for the 3leaf wonderlove so you can get bandpass. Or even try a step filter
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

To play70s influenced rock, and with what you're running already? My next choice would be the phaser.
  7. gus1894

just one of the influences in the mix, there is also a lot of hard rock and alternative influence.
    Thanks, Phaser is a definite possibility.
  8. odineye

DOH! You mean it's not 'all 70s all the time'? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I misread your 1st post, now I get it. I'd still go for the phaser, esp.the Subdecay. Maybe go for a Muff type of fuzz after that.
  9. gus1894

Heheh. Yea, I am extremely curious about the Subdecay. I would also be curious about the HBE Psilocybe and slightly less so about the EBS DPhaser.

The fuzz not so much, when we first started working on tunes, I had a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B, which for me is my personal favorite fuzz. Just wasn't feeling it for this project, felt a bit heavy handed.

Thsnks!
  10. odineye

So, I thought I was pretty well set for effects, but you just had to make me go look again... and I found this.

Man, that is one phat phaser, now I want one to. In fact, I'm going to change my vote. You don't need the phaser. What you need to do is give up on the idea and, since they're out of production, tell me where you planned on getting one. ;)

I can see where you're coming from on the fuzz. In fact, if you had told me a year ago that I would use, let alone own, a fuzz, I would have wondered who dropped you on your head. Like you, I always felt it was too over the top for anything I was ever doing, but recently I've started playing with blened fuzz and found a whole new appreciation for the effect.
  11. gus1894

Nice. That guy is a hell of a player, but his pedal demos always leave me dissatisfied. They are really him showing off his playing while the effect is on; but there is no reference point of what his unaffected tone is, or settings he is using. But I digress. I'm actually looking for the Baby Quasar, which turns up occasionally.

Yea, I love fuzz, I really love the Pickle Pie B, just not for what I'm doing. I a totally digging on the B3K though. Hoping that that Phat Phuk B will work out as well.
  12. gus1894

So does anybody know how much of a difference there is between the first generation Proton and the new one? I know there is a slight difference in the controls
    Also, anyone know if the demo Spencer did is with the old or new?
  13. Dignan81

Dignan81 Supporting Member

so when exactly would you use an envelope filter like a proton? I had a MXR BEF and almost never got a good chance to use it in my band setting, which doesn't sound too much different than what you (the OP) are describing. so I got rid of the envelope filter and grabbed a HBE Psilocybe Phaser and I love it. it gives me that trippy 70s slime and I actually get to use it in a lot of different band situations and combined with other pedals. It is super fat and funky when I add a Boss OC2 and some dirt in front of it. same could be said for a good envelope filter but this phaser just works for me more.
  14. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

I would looking in Octave and Delay pedals as well. You could get some really interesting sounds from them as well. I have Chorus, Delay x2, Wah and Envelope Filter on my board plus 3 different types of dirt on my board. I don't like to be held back at all when it comes to experiementing in a jam situation.

The Proton is a really nice filter when set correctly plus look into maybe adding a compression pedal in your chain as that can help with your tone as well.
  15. neuman

neuman Supporting Member

I'd take a flanger or phaser over a filter. I guess I went all in and picked up a Zoom B3 as I, like many others here, find the modulation and delays very usable and in combo with your other pedals you have a wide range of tones/sounds available.
  16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

As far as filters go the Murf is kinda cool. But there's reason people pay large bucks for Mutron IIIs.

The Moog Phasor is funk in a box. And Pigtronix makes a kinda half phasor half filter that will do things no one else can.
  17. gus1894

Admittedly, the Proton would get less use, I'm leaning towards a phaser. The Psilocybe is the other phaser I'm considering.
  18. gus1894

Just bought and returned the Pigtronix, cool pedal, but not for me. It is definitely it's own animal.
  19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

In your situation/gig I'd definitely say phaser.

Check out the Psilocybe (my first suggestion for your purposes) or the Subdecay Baby Quasar or Quasar Quantum.

For the cheap option try the EHX Nano Stone.
  20. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

I just picked up a Psilocybe and I highly recommend it. Loves to be fed with dirt and octave.. doesnt get lost in the band mix and can get that 70's vibe.
  21. leokatero

leokatero

I like envelope filters, so that's what I'd go for.[​IMG][​IMG]