If you were no longer gigging...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Apr 1, 2014.

?

I would...

1. Sell all of my gear except one bass, a practice amp, and a DI just in case I decide to play out

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Sell all gear except a few basses and small rig in case I decide to play out

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Keep my gear - I don't need the money or space but I won't buy any more

23 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Sell everything - there's no point in playing at all if there are no gigs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sell everything except a small rig and have my dream bass built

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Do nothing - carry on buying, selling, trading and GASsing as a hobby

38 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

...or playing with other people much, if at all - what would you do?

Maybe you no longer wanted to gig for various reasons but still enjoyed playing at home.

Or maybe you didn't want to gig per sé but still fancied the odd jam or open mic.

Please vote in the poll and let me have your thoughts! Thanks
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I'd do what I do now - I'm my own band and play all the instruments. Composing is actually quite a lot of fun. And no one gives me weird looks if I play something unusual.
  3. mcarp555

mcarp555

I gave up live work over a decade ago. I play at home for my own enjoyment, work on my originals, and do bass tracks for friends around the world. They send me a track, I play along, then send back my bass track for them to add into their mix.
  4. marko138

marko138

I picked the last option, as I have recently, for the first time in almost 20 years, found myself not in a band.

I have no plans to sell anything. I've got 4 basses, 3 guitars, 3 full drum kits, amps, cases, etc. I will probably buy more though. And also have no plans to gig again.
  5. socialleper

socialleper

I've gone long stretches without playing gigs and never sold my basses because of it. I did shrink down my rig to a combo amp, only to find myself needing to pay a compact rig again a short time later.
    I play music because I have to; its my outlet. I will never stop doing it just because I can't or don't play gigs anymore.
  6. spade2you

spade2you

I'd probably keep everying. Ya never know if/when you'll get that itch again. Despite all the @$^@ drama of my last band, I plan on getting out there some day and possibly on guitar. Makes me glad I didn't sell off all my guitar stuff.
  7. dalkowski

dalkowski

I'll keep everything and quite possibly acquire more "bucket list" gear.
  8. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

Grow my fingernails out and pick up the classical guitar again which has been sitting in my closet for...40 years waiting patiently for me to retire.

I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to that day.
  9. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Actually, honestly, I would probably sell the majority of my stuff and then take the money and buy a double bass. I'd probably keep one electric and my 210 combo, though. I've only fiddled around with one once, but I'd love to spend time learning to play the double proficiently.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Supporting Member

Not necessarily with amps, but the one time I sold a bass I later regretted it (my Ric from when I was in high school). Amps are tools, but every bass has a soul.
  11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

3 year gig just ended, now is the perfect time to upgrade, repair, and expand my arsenal.
  12. cb56

cb56

Whatever you do don't sell everything. That's the mistake I made.
    You'll just end up spending money to buy gear agin.
    Keep enough around to practice and occasionally jam or play out.
    I now have one nice bass and a medium/small sized combo amp with Direct out.
    [​IMG]
  13. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

I'm on the verge of hanging it up for a while. I just can find quality players in my area. I'm trying to decide the same things. I just sold a bass and am tempted to sell another, leaving me with 3 and sell one of my 2 Bergantino cabs. Not sure what to do yet.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am no longer gigging, so no need to go hypothetical in my case. The idea of selling off stuff and buying a nice AUB is very appealing and could easily happen, but in reality I'll probably keep building more DIY electronics stuff and enjoy having a stereo rig optimized for my living room and maybe another one at my neighbor's jam space. I've always played open mikes pretty regularly too, and expect to keep doing so as long as I live somewhere that has decent ones. And finally, more recording projects are definitely in the cards.
  15. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

I am also no longer gigging, but I know that I will again in the future. That being the case, I'm acquiring the rig and gear that I will need to do what I want to do in the future. I'm also actively writing on my own, so it isn't as if I've stopped playing.

I've made the mistake of selling everything before. Never, ever, again.
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Supporting Member

The question is, are you sure you are giving up gigging for good (or serious playing)? I've taken time away from serious playing, but always came back. If there is something you like playing, and you are going to be playing again, why get rid of it? How many stories do you read about "the one that got away"?
  17. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    If I was no longer gigging...
    ...or playing with other people much, if at all..

I'll be sitting in front of my DAW creating music (and check TB once in awhile :D ), with (or without) bass on my lap.
    There's no way I'll ever quit music/making music (including playing bass) even if it's only for myself, because it's the happiest thing in my life to do.

Anyway I vote for "Keep my Gear...".. even though maybe I'll still buying something..
  18. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

We went from playing 4-6 shows a month to playing a few here and there. We take long breaks at times for pregnant wives, deaths in the family and so on. Even playing less my gear quality hasn't changed, the size and amount definetly has though.

I've owned up to five 5 basses at a time, ampeg 810 and a huge 14 space rack(on wheels thank god) with power conditioner, tuner, pre, power amp, rack drawer, and wireless systems for me and two vocals.

I've downsized to a ampeg 410he, sans amp RBI(stayed), korg rack tuner stayed, replaced my 37lbs swr 750x i was using for a power amp with a crown xls 1500 that weighs like 8lbs. Big rack was replaced by an 8 space for a bit and then a 4 space gator rack bag. When i went from the 8 to the 4 stopped using the power conditioner and got a nice surge protector attached inside the rack with Velcro. The crown has its own power protection built in, and haven't felt the need to use the furman.

Bass wise i went down to 1 innitially (my gt7 with Aguilar pre) but then picked up mim fretless jazz which is my first fretless. I really only look at odd ball basses these days, 8 string 4x2, electric upright, acoustic and so on but the big want there is a nice custom 7

Effects changed a lot. Right now i have a line 6 m5, a digitech twin size jamman i use for sampling and waiting for my bass whammy to get here. I recently sold a lot of pedals because i can get all those sounds with the m5. Sold my whammy IV after ordering the bass whammy. In fact the only pedal i want right now is a nice fuzz. But yeah if you haven't checked out the m5 do it. For me it replaced, floor tuner, reverb, delay, chorus, synths, really IMO the only thing it doesn't do well is dirt and whammy.
  19. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

My church will want me to be a part of the praise team for as long as I am a member (there are praise team members in their 80's). Hopefully I will still be playing bass till I stop breathing. Now, working in a cover band at bars gets old sometimes at 56yo, but I will do that until it is no fun, or can't get a gig, not in my foreseeable future... Although there are a sizable amount of 50+ musicians in my area there is also a crowd of people that come see those bands regularly. Several venues near me (25 miles) have regular entertainment, so if I want to gig I can. For me the real question is "How long can I keep gigging?" Not much will change after club gigs, although I expect a reduction in purchasing and a reduction in gear on hand.
  20. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

After I quit playing years ago, it actually helped me to make a fresh new start by selling all my gear and start from the ground up. Part of starting afresh was that I realized that I was going to be a very different player than I had been previously, which was the major inspiration behind the 're-start'.

Just the Mocha 70-ties P-bass, I should have never gotten rid of. Oh well.

If that happened again, I'd hang on to a few - but I've been minimizing as part of the 'new me', ever since anyway.