1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I'll be playing stand up bass soon..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDirtyBassist, Mar 16, 2014.

1. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

It looks like I'll be attempting to learn the upright bass in a couple weeks. My Uncle is sending me his curly maple Kay M1. I'll probably start with some early Motown, or at least try a go at it. I have no intentions of using a bow, but you just never know.

I had an upright a few years ago, and couldn't hack it, but this is a little more special.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Welcome to the dark side. Get lessons if at all possible. Bass is a physical instrument.

3. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I had a very cracked solid wood Ernst Heinrich Roth with 2 inch action before. It did make my bass guitar playing seem like cake, though.

I'll post pics upon arrival. This thing is beautiful.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spaldo

Spaldo

Get a teacher. Period.

....then get gigs =^)

7. Spaldo

Spaldo

....oh, and best of luck!

8. pklima

pklima

Get one and use it at least to practice and tune, even if you never use it on gigs. It's a lot easier to hear when your intonation is off when bowing.

And more importantly, have fun.

9. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Looking forward to the pics! Love curly maple. :hyper:
    I'm also curious what strings it'll have, year birthed (the bass), sound clips, etc... just the usual deets.

Fun, Fun, Fun

10. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I dove in a little over a year ago, less than a month before a scheduled gig. It has been a fun ride so far, and nobody in the audience says how terrible the bass player's intonation is. I think they are being kind, but I'm also having a blast.

Enjoy it, and jump in without a safety net. It's the only way to fly!

11. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Thanks to all.

I hope the sound post is in the right spot. I've heard those old Kay's are pretty loud when setup right.

I'll never be Mingus, but there's just something extra cool about showing up to an acoustic gig or jam with a doghouse.

12. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Oh yeah, lessons. There's a guy about a half hour from my place that's been teaching double bass for many years. He refurbishes string instruments, also. So I'll have him look my Kay over, hopefully.