Illegal Auto Repair Shop Next Door

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by metron, Feb 3, 2014.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

I live in a residential neighborhood in west Denver. There is no homeowners association here as it's an older neighborhood. My neighbors have been running an auto repair shop out of their garage (15 feet from my bedroom window) for going on 3 years now. It's full time, all day, on weekends, and they appear to have no shortage of customers. I've done my best to live and let live but this is a constant nuisance and I can't take it anymore. It needs to stop.

They are slick with hiding their operation. They have a few cars pulled up on the morning to get worked on then they drive them somewhere else and bring another one in. That way there are only a few cars out there at any time and in order to catch them, you literally have to see when they are pulling in or out. Occasionally it even appears as though they have "employees". Weirdos that live there for a while and help them shuffle cars around. Multiple times weekly there are flatbeds in front of my house dropping off vehicles for repair. These guys have it down such that they are in and out within 5 minutes. The drivers must know them personally or something.

I have called the police and they won't get involved in a situation like this. I called the city and they said that these people have been a case in their system for some time however unless I testify against them in court, their hands are tied because the city can't prove it. I would rather not go there and make myself a valdalilsm or break-in target. I thought about calling the dept of revenue but they have a business registered with the state that they likely file taxes under. Their business description is "general technical services".

Any suggestions on how to shut this down? There is no doubt it's illegal but it seems that there is no one to enforce. I don't want to be malicious but I'm also tired of them breaking the law and no one cares.
  2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Maybe you could try to videotape some of the stuff you are seeing and then see if the city will do something about it?
  3. metron

I have plenty of pictures of the flatbed drop offs but the city indicated that I would need to present my evidence in court :meh:

I just wish there was a phone call I could make and have all this end today, you know?
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NWB

NWB

Maybe contact the local media. That might bring some attention from the city.
  7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

You may have to present your case in court, but that would likely be a quick case if you have a "GoPro" type camera and keep track of some of the dealings over there.
  8. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Does your state enjoy enforcing environmental laws? You might find some discarded oil, batteries, brake pads round the back of their property? What does your city like to crack down on? Noise abatement? Do they run angle grinders and buffers into the night?
  9. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Sign of the times, hard times that is. Why does it bother you?
  10. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Is it illegal? You think it is, but are you sure?
  11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

^This.
    We have a popular media reporter named Jesse Jones, and when he gets info like this he plants surveillence cameras and causes a stink with business owners or even the city and broadcasts it on tv. Usually, something gets done about it.
  12. metron

I suppose i could film it. One thing they are good at is hiding evidence. There is noise during the day but not much after 8 or 9 pm.
  13. OldDog52

OldDog52

Any of your other neighbors willing to join you in a complaint?
  14. metron

The economy here is doing very well so i dont buy that they cant find jobs. It bothers me because there are random people in an out all day, cars coming and going all day, oil spots all over the street in front of my house. It used to be a quiet neighborhood. Its hard to describe the magnitude of it but its really a full time business.

Definitely. There is no zoning for commercial business in my neighborhood.
  15. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

My dad use to own a motorsports business and would constantly have to fix bikes or atvs that people had obviously brought to such shops and had been improperly "repaired" . Then the customers would be upset at the price of parts they now needed to have changed because the fly by night shop really messed it up by not really knowing what they were doing. you get what you deserve if you deal with illegal unlicensed businesses... Why would they need to operate illegally if theyre good at what they do? Its one of those, it seemed like a good idea at the time thing...
  16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

What you are calling hiding evidence can also be perceived as following the law. Just like with the noise.
    If they were doing things outside the law the city would have shut them down when they checked them out.
    Sounds like some honest hard working people just trying to make a living during hard times.

Would you rather they sell meth?
  17. metron

I imagine shop fees are very expensive. They are probably doing it under the table likely to maximize profit and it seems to be working well for them.
  18. David Jayne

David Jayne

I think you'll have to get neighbors to sign a petition. Get some others on your side and bring it to town hall.
  19. metron

Lol funny you should mention this but his wife is a pretty serious tweaker and some of the people hanging around look like they are as well. I wanted to keep speculation out of it though because I don't know that they sell meth but I know for sure they repair cars a few feet from where I sleep.

These are not honest people. All this started a few years back after a little too much partying at their house one night and some guy died when he fell down their stairs and busted his head open on their basement floor. I believe they both lost their jobs due to that.
  20. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ

How does this affect you, day to day? Too much noise? Awful smell? Has someone broken into your house because of it? Is it just the nasty looking people you don't like seeing?
  21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

then you wouldnt have started this thread.