I'm 52:do I need a fistfight over loud guitard?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by resinboy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. resinboy

resinboy Supporting Member

ben in a new band for 3 months playing mostly 80's hard rock and metal. Added a new guitarist about a month ago. He plays too ******** loud at practice (marshall half stack). I have asked him several times to turn down: I get told I am the old guy and cant handle the volume any more.
    Auditioned a vocalist sunday. The PA would not cut over the loud guitard, so I asked him to turn down so the guy don"t blow his throat out. He went ballistic: told me I'm not his father and to pack my **** up and get the **** out of his house before he kicks the **** out of me.
    Rather than start a stupid fight, I left. Haven't had an altercation like this since I was 15 LOL. ***? And he wasn't the band leader: the other 2 guys sat frozen: shocked that this assclown went nuts.
    This is my first band in 20 years, and unfortunately it reminded me of why I got out.

Dave
  2. throughthefire

throughthefire

Walking is the best solution. Well done.

No stupid guitar player is going to damage *my* hearing.

If you still want to play out, start your own band...
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

You made the right decision. That guy is on a road to nowhere and disassociating yourself with him is a smart thing to do.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo

+1, you made the right call to quit and walk out.
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

That went well; way to impress the auditioning singer, Rock God Guitarist!
  6. resinboy

thats the way I looked at it; they lost a singer and a bassplayer in 1 day !
  7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Stay away and don't return.
    1. No musician needs to be so loud that others can't be heard or vocals strained.
    2. You are not being respected by being called old man and physically threatened. Unless respectful boundaries are set and apologies made, the same thing will happen again, if not worse.
    3. The other two guys are not men enough either. If they allow this guy to play loud, they don't respect themselves, AND they are not good enough musicians to see how destructive that is too.

Go find people who can play nice with others. Enjoy and have fun!
  8. nortonrider

nortonrider

There are plenty of people out there who only know how to handle confrontation by getting physical.
    Your "criticism" embarrassed him, he had to retaliate. (defense mechanism)
    I've seen it a lot.

The funny thing is, he's only been in the "band" for a month and he kicked you out?
    Drama - I have no time for it!
  9. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Yeah, you did the right thing by walking out. How old is this guy?
  10. eriky4003

eriky4003

If you like the original two guys, I'd let them know you're still interested if the loud guitarist is out. With that kind of attitude, the loud guitarist won't be there very long or the other two members will leave.
  11. Joedog

Joedog

You (almost always) can't fix stupid. Excessive volume, where it gets to the point of distraction, and the overall sound suffers (especially drowning out vocals) is one of my pet peeves. Been there done that too many times. Never again. The guitard sounds like an asshat.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well I certainly hope not, you're old enough to know better. :D I am pro fist-fights, but not for a pointless reason.
  13. resinboy

auntiebeeb: he's around 40 or so.
  14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Yeah, you did the right thing by walking out. There is no point in an altercation over that kind of stuff, no matter what your age is.
  15. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

40? Oh dear. That makes him sound even more pathetic - you'd think he'd have grown out of that sort of thing by now...
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yeah walk out and stay out but don't judge all bands from this a**

Talk to the other two guys and see where they are with this or keep looking. There are plenty of bands that want a older,established bass player.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Talk to the other two guys. Chances are they aren't a fan of his behavior either, so maybe you can vote him out of the band.
  18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

So this guy is the new guy and has only been in the band for 4 weeks and he wants to kick your A$$ cause you asked him to turn is rig down? Wow, were did you guys find this guy? Sounds like you have a classic CL type unstable guitar player that we hear about in other threads here on TB. Have you taked with your bandmates since this happened? What do they say? I bet they don't want this powder keg around either. The three of you should fire him. If your bandmates won't stand behind dumping this guy then I would bail the band and not look back.
  19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Guitarists are a dime a dozen. Let the others in the band that if they want you, then the guitarist has to go. Otherwise, tell them they need to look for a new bass player.
  20. pedro

pedro

Ditto. No band is worth an assault on your ears and your health. Walk and take the rest of the band with you.