1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I'm a beginner and I need opinions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by classicrockjan, Dec 14, 2013.

1. classicrockjan

classicrockjan

I'm a beginner and Free Fallin' is the first song I have learned. Nobody in my family or circle of friends have an ear for music, so I don't quite know how I'm doing. It sounds off to me, but I would like a second opinion if you can please take the time to provide one.

https://soundcloud.com/lisa-marie-308/sets/cover-1

2. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

What you new to do is make sure you are in tune. Then if it still sounds bad you might actually be closer to the right note than you think so try to move up or down a fret or two for each note you play until it sounds right. Hope that helps. If it doesn't then post another audio file with your progress

3. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Now if by any chance you have no idea what you're doing then at least learn the names of the notes on the fretboard then find the chords online and play the roots of those chords (the first letter in the chord's name) to get an idea of how it should sound and you can go from there

4. classicrockjan

classicrockjan

I'm tuned to 440 and the tuner says each string is right. I'm playing exactly what this guy instructed, but as you can tell it doesn't sound the same. I don't get it. My amp is low quality, but I don't know if that contributes much?

http://youtu.be/bE2_JfkEjBM

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

You might need to check your tuning again make sure the notes are tuned E, A, D, G in order form lowest sounding string to highest. And I would suggest looking up tabs as well

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1.

8. fearceol

fearceol

+1. After you are sure the bass is in tune, this would be the way to go IMO.

EDIT : I think that song starts with the note "F". So, assuming that your bass is in tune, F is at the first fret on the E (thickest on a four string bass).

9. David Jayne

David Jayne

You have good time, but you're playing the wrong notes. Very generally, you're too low.

10. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

at least half of every chord chart/tab/or instruction will be in the wrong key. As mentioned try moving everything up or down a fret and see if it matches better.

11. hrodbert696

Actually, the vid she linked is in the correct key, and the notes on the recording of herself are not the notes from the vid or the original song. Sounds way flat if not downtuned.

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

Another thing: Sometimes, recordings are not necessarily tuned exactly to A440. I've seen some that are more like A460. If you are tuned to A440, and the recording is at A460, you are definitely going to sound way off even if you're in the right key and playing the right notes. Try tuning to the actual recording and not use your tuner and see if that helps.

13. hrodbert696

The OP seems, in all likelihood, to have vanished. If she is still around (and wasn't just trolling), comments would probably be most useful if people actually listened to the first twenty seconds of her recording and of the song she's trying to play (Petty's Free Falling, which is just F-Bb-C over and over again). Her bass is tuned wrong, and it's not the youtube video's fault. She's a good step to a step-and-a-half too low. Either her tuner is broken or she's reading it wrong.

14. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Or she has no ear at all. There was no attempt to match pitch against the provided YT video.

15. fearceol

fearceol

Hey... did you get your problem sorted out ? :)